• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think of this seated half dime in NGC holder?

43 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It's clearly a conspiracy. The HA in HALF was obviously placed there by the Mint to brand the coin for Heritage Auctions. lol

that "A" is not an accident..it's definately graffiti....in fact, with my superior coin vision..it seems that someone cared about "AMY" a lot...

I think it should have been body-bagged for "reverse graffiti".

:(

I'm not convinced that it is graffiti. The left part of the "A" appears to be about the same color as the other lines on the coin. I cannot see that it goes into the metal. The right line clearly does. I'm not convinced it is not just an illusion.

Even if it is an A, the letter would be so small that I still think it should be slabbed. It's a tiny half dime and the letter would be in between to tiny letters.

Here is the Auction Link so anyone wanting to see it doesn't have to go thru the new HORRIBLE Heritage layout. Their site is now just awful. Horrible. Unusable. It went from user friendly to unusable.

I think it should have been body-bagged for "reverse graffiti".

:(

I'm not convinced that it is graffiti. The left part of the "A" appears to be about the same color as the other lines on the coin. I cannot see that it goes into the metal. The right line clearly does. I'm not convinced it is not just an illusion.

Even if it is an A, the letter would be so small that I still think it should be slabbed. It's a tiny half dime and the letter would be in between to tiny letters.

Here is the Auction Link so anyone wanting to see it doesn't have to go thru the new HORRIBLE Heritage layout. Their site is now just awful. Horrible. Unusable. It went from user friendly to unusable.

Greg's sparing people from having to navigate the new Heritage search feature is a much bigger favor than one might think! I will be viewing the lots in Dallas at the end of the month and will try to remember to view this one carefully, then report back within this thread.

I'm in the illusion camp, but would be interested in hearing an in-hand assessment of the coin. Photos can be misleading, and human eyes tend to see previously-known symbols in things -- it's the way our brains work...Mike

man...I should be a top-paid grader...it says...plain as day.... A_M_Y !!!!...the M and Y have been scuffed a bit but it is OBVIOUS...look again...

But I also found a potato chip that looks just like the bust of Lincoln on the cent.... :screwy:

doh! I was paying so much attention to the coins original letters, that I completely was over-looking what ya'll were talking about. Thanks for the circles Ant. Some of us have to have things pointed out once in a while! lol

Another vote for "illusion".

This coin can probably grade as high as MS-63 - 64 at the most extreme (if the obverse is amazing).

I looked at it backwards and could have sworn it said,Paul is dead. hm

The coin has many scratches (esp. on obverse) and I couldn't decide if it's just a coincidence, but it sure does look like letter A to me.

And coincidence or not, I'm scared to own this coin if it does look like the image in person.

I hope to hear back from Mark after he finish his lot viewing.

I apologize Toy for being a touch flippant..I didn't realize that you may be considering buying it.....it does not say "AMY"...it's obvious that the stand of the Y is not a scratch, but extends upwards onto the letter above..not graffiti...just a host of toning streaks, scratches and scuffs that create the illusion of letters...

Interesting that no one here is talking about the "X" on the obverse right side in the field. Now that and the "A" or possibly "AMY" is real bothersome and proves without a shadow of a doubt at least to me that this is graffiti . SO I have to disagree strongly with TDN even though the guy obviously knows his schtick.

P.S. Did Heritage make a big boo boo or what, why does everything have to change especially when it worked so good before, uhhggggg

BTW, no big deal but I happen to own a nicely toned 1838-O 10c PCGS AU50 with much nicer toning but obviously not as nice condition, if mine had those scratched/carved in letters it would disturb me big time. dimes aren' that small especially without the stars on the obverse.

Oops you are correct i have a 10c here.

Interesting that no one here is talking about the "X" on the obverse right side in the field. Now that and the "A" or possibly "AMY" is real bothersome and proves without a shadow of a doubt at least to me that this is graffiti . SO I have to disagree strongly with TDN even though the guy obviously knows his schtick.

P.S. Did Heritage make a big boo boo or what, why does everything have to change especially when it worked so good before, uhhggggg

BTW, no big deal but I happen to own a nicely toned 1838-O 10c PCGS AU50 with much nicer toning but obviously not as nice condition, if mine had those scratched/carved in letters it would disturb me big time. dimes aren' that small especially without the stars on the obverse.

This coin is a half dime. So it's significantly smaller than your dime.

Still, I would also want to see the "X" on the obverse. Please tell us about that as well as the reverse "A" after you've seen it, Mark.

seatedwithx.jpg

i also see a few spots that i question. im horable at grading but im just saying what i see. feel free to let me know if im seeing thing.

Interesting that no one here is talking about the "X" on the obverse right side in the field.

Not all that surprising when you consider that the OP doesn't include a picture of the obverse.

Interesting that no one here is talking about the "X" on the obverse right side in the field. Now that and the "A" or possibly "AMY" is real bothersome and proves without a shadow of a doubt at least to me that this is graffiti.

Obverse? Where's the obverse?