• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1959 Proof Franklin, Plate coin.

11 posts in this topic

Here's a coin that I've owned for just under 20 years that Rick Tomaska used for his, "Cameo and Brilliant Proof Coinage of the 1950 to 1970 Era". It is plate coin # 46. It is currently graded NGC PR67CameoStar. I'll probably play the crackout game at some point and time to try and upgrade to a UCAM. For those of you that don't know, 1959 is the TOUGHEST year for proof Franklins to UCAM at NGC, and the 2nd toughest to DCAM at PCGS.

The first image is kind of artsy and I just like the looks of it. All 3 images were done by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job. The white specks you may see are on the slab, they don't exist on the coin.

Franklin1959Obv2.jpg

Franklin1959Rev.jpg

Franklin1959Obv.jpg

A plate coin is a coin that is used as a pictorial example in a book. In this case the above coin was the # 46 pictured Franklin in the book.

A plate coin is a coin that is used as a pictorial example in a book. In this case the above coin was the # 46 pictured Franklin in the book.

Thanks Sy!!

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The term "plate coin" dates to the early years of photographic illustration in books. Until about 50 years ago most photographs within coin books were confined to dedicated pages at the center or back of the book, rather than being located adjacent to the relevant text. This was done simply because it was too difficult and/or expensive to integrate the photos with the text. The Raymond Standard Catalog and the Yeoman Guide Book were exceptions, but they sacrificed image quality as a result, using so-so halftones that were often taken from other published works.

The photo pages typically included a cluster of coins that were arranged on a tabletop to be photographed in a single, very large image onto a glass plate, hence the term "plate coin." Numismatists still refer to a coin which appears in a book or auction catalog as being "plated" in that work.

NGC has certified quite a number of pieces as the plate coins from various text books. We will do this whenever the identification can be made without a doubt and when the book is one of recognized and lasting value.

NGC has certified quite a number of pieces as the plate coins from various text books. We will do this whenever the identification can be made without a doubt and when the book is one of recognized and lasting value.

FWIW, because I sent in the appropriate verifying data (a letter from Rick Tomaska dated 1992 verifying the coin), this coin has on the NGC label the subheading, "Tomaska Plate Coin".