• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SCD HK-25

21 posts in this topic

Hi all! Figured this is the place to get an answer to my question. I have a SCD, ANACS graded, HK-25, Liberty Bell obverse, Independence Hall reverse (just for reference, it is the die variety with rounded 6, dots after XXV, etc). What I am having trouble with is the following....I have an IDENTICAL medal, much smaller (3/4", or 1 1/2 cm). When I say IDENTICAL, its IDENTICAL (as far as the design elements...obviously, where its much smaller, the wording around the perimeter of the HK-25 is not there on the smaller one). I believe this to be silver composition, and lastly, the letters KEY.F (Key, Francis, much more than likely) are directly under Independence Hall. If anyone can ID this for me, it would be greatly appreciated. Its a great companion piece to the HK-25. Also, would this be something that NGC would slab? Thanks for all help/input!!!

When you see your pic in your photobucket album, just click the last link under your pic ( IMG CODE), right click, copy, then paste it in your post. here's your pic.

Scan0002.gif

No problem Duke. Don't know anything about this, but there are some others that are. wait around, they'll show! Conder101 may be helpful if he sees this post!

The portion that states "KEY. F" would not stand for Francis Scott Key, if that is who you believe it might stand for, but would mean Key, fecit. The term fecit is Latin for "done by" or "made by", in other words, the designer or engraver who received credit for the work. Your image is too small for me to discern well, but it also appears as though the typeface used is different when compared to HK-25.

The typeface is definitely different than that of the HK-25. Where it's so small, any other image would be madly blurred (just from a scanner, no dig camera). Other than the verbage I have described, there are no other words, initials, nothing as far as lettering goes. Its strange, as it is holed same place as most larger medals are holed.

It could be the HK26. Here is the description from the HK Book:

26. White Metal, Rare

Obv. Similar to last, but much smaller bell, which bears no lettering; Leviticus is not abbreviated; The is added before Liberty Bell; star between "Therof" and "Proclaim", beaded border.

I can't tell from your scan if this corresponds to yours or not. The image, even when enlarged, is too dark. The only thing that is clearly evident is the beaded border. If it is the HK26, it is not silver.

Chris

I have the Hibbard/Kappen book 'So Called Dollars', and at first read, thought it may, indeed, be HK-26, but after reading it a few times, have decided the HK-26 would be the same size as the HK-25. This medal is just slightly smaller than a nickle, where the HK-25 is slightly smaller than a dollar....just for comparison sakes.

Regardless of size, does it match the description? You know, the book was published 44 years ago, and it is possible that it is just a typographical error omitting a semicolon after "smaller".

If it doesn't match the description, then your only recourse would be to wait until the new book is released. I understand that the only new specimens that will be added are those that pre-date 1960.

Chris

Chris, the new edition of HK will be out in January, 2008 and it shows HK-26 as being the same size as HK-25.

Tom, what I'm alluding to is that there could be a new addition, say, HK26A, or whatever number they want to assign to it.

Chris

Duke,

On the smaller token/medal-is there "two trees and statue in grounds before hall"

if not, then it is not the HK 26. Chris could be right about the size but it still should have all the components.

The following web site is one of the best references for SCD's I have found and available to all.

so-calleddollars.com

Thought I would give this another whirl, before I just put it in the 'what the hell am I gonna do with this/will I ever find out what the hell this is' file! lol.....Again, its smaller than the allowed minimum for a true HK medal, MUCH smaller....dime/cent size as opposed to dollar sized for the true HK's. Someone mentioned Conder101, so I am hoping against all hope that he can give some insight.

Jesbroken....I did see the HK-26, and that is still the same size as the HK-25, while this is MUCH smaller. Thanx again for any and all help!

Scan0002.gif

Just for comparisons sake (the above is the unidentified piece, below is the actual HK-25).

hk25a1abc.jpg