• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are you a collector or a hoarder (accumlator)?

25 posts in this topic

I love gold coins, I look at mine everyday. But I can't collect them by date, because they are just so expensive. So I accumlate them, I have a saint gaudens, 2 british sovereign of 2 different types, older gold coins, liberties, etc.

I think I collect them by TYPE. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, but collecting by type is collecting each coin of a certain time period. Like an indian head, a saint gaudens, etc)

I'm thinking I'm going to start a mercury dime or buffalo nickel COLLECTION. Just get a board and fill it up. Would be fun. What are some key dates for mercury dimes? My mom used to collect mercury dimes, so I thought it would be cool if I would too.

So do you collect coins, or accumulate them?

I like having a broad range of coins, rather than just collect one type of coin with different dates. More variety, i guess I like variety.

If I'm looking at specific coins, I usually just look at the PCGS guide, look for the most valuable in that series, and figure, Those must be key dates. (shrug)

I guess I didn't answer your question, but I consider myself a collector. I don't really go after one type as there are too many key dates in all types that I just can't afford. I concentrate on getting one of this and one of that just to have. I don't really even go for certain grades as much as I do just collecting all different coins.

The 1916-D is the big coin in the Merc series.

I collect most things, but some I have accumulations of. Mint products, common wheat cents... Those are accumulations.

i wish i wish i wish i wish i was a hoarder, but i can't say that i am

It's easy, Mike. Instead of flipping something to buy something else or selling one for an upgrade, just buy the new one and keep the old one.

I'm a "hoard collector". I collect Morgans even though I know I will never complete the set in the grades I desire, but I don't get rid of any when I find an upgrade. I like the look of them too much to commit such a travesty. I also collect them for their toning, DMPL's and VAM's.

I'm a hoarder, too! Just recently, I bought the $250 bags of 2007 P & D Utah SQ's that I will probably never open. There are just too darned many to go through. I like it's design, but who knows? If a major error on the UT 25c surfaces, I might be tempted. I also have rolls and rolls and rolls of Mint-wrapped SQ's, Sac's & Kennedy's

Now, my medals collection is something else altogether. I have no direction. I collect what I find attractive. It may be a French Marianne, an anniversary medal (bicentennial, sesquicentennial, tercentennial, etc.) or simply because it is silver or copper.

I guess you could call me a "collectoard".

Chris

Stinky, if you really like variety you may not be happy putting together a date and mint series since they all tend to look the same. You might do better assembling a Dansco 7070 type set, or Civil War Tokens (thousands of different varieties and not very expensive. If you don't insist on uncirculated pieces there are thousands of tokens available for under $20 each. Many less than $10. It is a collection you can work on for years or even a lifetime.) In fact most any type of cataloged token series can be interesting. Transportation tokens, coal scrip, saloon tokens, maybe tokes from your home state etc.

I must be a little of both. I used to collect a little bit of everything in US gold. A dollar here, a St G here, an Indian 5 there. Then I realized the small ones just didn't do it for me. I like the weight and feel of heavy gold. So I sold all my smaller ones and continue to collect the 1/2 Eagle on up.

Stinky,

As we have seen in other posts on here and I have myself been advised by the more seasoned and experienced collectors, you should determine what interests you and concentrate on that. I face the same delima so to speak with my existing collection from my father. I need to determine what truly interests me and what does not. Right now I feel like a collector and a hoarder, (collectoard) because there is much that does not really interest me and I should probably not hang on to it. I want to expand the collection in my own direction and it is difficult to determine what that direction is.

I know that probably does not help much but I think you will see other members here explain it better to you. Determine what you like/desire/interests you and pursue it carefully and smartly.

Rey

I think for a budget minded collector it’s hard to do both without sacrificing some quality. Hoarding takes up valuable $$ that may go towards your collection, or vise versa.

That said, I have two boxes…. one that has my little albums full of dates and MM’s and another that has rolls and rolls of state quarters, nickels, junk silver etc.

Sometimes the NEED to hoard supersedes the logic written above!

I'm a collector all the way. I have a few duplicates, but not many. Usually I keep a coin for sentimental value (e.g. one of the first coins I ever collected, or I purchased it from someone I liked who is now deceased.), or because it's part of the modern set in which I like the packaging.

Most of the time I sell my duplicates because I want to turn them into something else. I have a long (and expensive now TOO EXPENSIVE) list of coins I'd love to own.

I consider myself a collector, so I made a collection of coins that don't fit in my colleciton :D !

I collect for type, but will pick up Mercury dimes, WLHs, or Morgans if they fit in my sets of them. Then there is the "Homeless" collection, which can be viewed by clicking my signature line.

I go through many phases-I have a BU Washington Quarter collection lacking 31 coins, a BU Lincoln set from 1930-2007(modern proofs included) and most of the 1909-1929 less the great rarities, I now have switched my attention to MS Shields and back to higher quality MS IHC's and any coin that hits my fancy. I have recently started my 7070 and figure that one will go to my grave with me unfinished-but who knows. Stinky, I believe from what posts of yours I have read, you would love a Dansco 7070 with the Gold page. You can go for whatever grade you can afford and improve it as you can. Great luck with your collection/hoard.

collection/hoard ???? Aren't they the same thing? ;) I have been a hoarder throughout my life and now I am trying to ease into the collecting part and ridding myself of unneeded/unwanted/unappreciated coins. It has been a slow process but progress is being made

Great thread stinkycheese ....and there is no doubt I am a Collectoard (just tell me where to mail the rights fee check Chris) (thumbs u

I collect Walkers--in fact any date half that I don't have---but slabbed Walkers, ,,,usually I'm working on 1 album of circulated coins to keep me grounded (its cheap collecting also during the tighter budget periods)...but then my Collectoarder side kicks in with my sailing ship themed coin collection/hoard (shrug)...It is both a collection with a theme..and also a hoarding since there seems to be no end to the amount I'm accumulating :devil:...I just set new boundaries, like including SC$1's or Hard Times tokens or world medals and BAM..another 100 possibles to add to the hoard.. :banana:

We're all collectors here, even if your collection becomes a hoard...

A Hoarder?? :o

That's the squirrel you read about or see on the news that fills his house with coffee cans of cents, when they find his hoard it's about 12 tons, all in the basement. (thumbs u

I'm a hoarder 2 car garage but have to park in the street - 4 bedroom house 3 full of good stuff.Two large free standing safes full of really good stuff. I may need help but could be a collector too

We're all collectors here, even if your collection becomes a hoard...

A Hoarder?? :o

That's the squirrel you read about or see on the news that fills his house with coffee cans of cents, when they find his hoard it's about 12 tons, all in the basement. (thumbs u

...............that used to be the second floor.

Chris

....and there is no doubt I am a Collectoard (just tell me where to mail the rights fee check Chris) (thumbs u

Please make the check out to the "Hillary Clinton for Garbage Collector" Campaign Committee. You don't need an address to mail it. Just throw it in your trash can.

Chris

....and there is no doubt I am a Collectoard (just tell me where to mail the rights fee check Chris) (thumbs u

Please make the check out to the "Hillary Clinton for Garbage Collector" Campaign Committee. You don't need an address to mail it. Just throw it in your trash can.

Chris

:D : :grin::applause:

Great question!! I actually think I started off as a collector (Indian Head Cents...then to Lincoln Cents...then to Large Cents) but I've branched out so much that I've digressed in to being a hoarder :(

I've started and stopped and restarted a Morgan Dollar collection several times now...I think I've decided on a lightly toned Morgan Dollar date set..but then again....

I'm over half way through a Dansco 7070 type set... I really like this set..

I'm still one coin away from complete IHC and Lincoln Wheat sets...

...and I'm just two coins away from a Braided Hair Large Cent (1840-1857) collection being completed...

...Lately, I've seriously been thinking about selling the majority of it all just keeping the IHCs and the type set ....but then I'd probably just start it all over again ;)