• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Exploring my First Flight commemorative all over again - macro pics

11 posts in this topic

com-0006a.jpg

Sometimes when I make a macro image of a coin, it feels like I'm exploring the coin for the first time. All sorts of details jump out at me in the larger version, like how on my first flight commemorative coin what I initially took as a little toning on the edge turned out to be copper from the clad layer showing through the nickel.

com-0006a2.jpg

As I looked further, I realized that I could actually read most of the monument's writing. I couldn't read it all, however, so I turned to wikipedia for the remainder of the inscription on the monument atop Kill Devil Hill in NC:

com-0006b.jpg

A 60-foot (18 m) granite monument, dedicated in 1932, is perched atop 90-foot-tall (27 m) Kill Devil Hill, commemorating the achievement of the Wright brothers. They conducted many of their glider tests on the massive shifting dune that was later stabilized to form Kill Devil Hill. Inscribed in capital letters along the base of the memorial tower is the phrase "In commemoration of the conquest of the air by the brothers Wilbur and Orville Wright conceived by genius achieved by dauntless resolution and unconquerable faith." Atop the tower is a marine beacon, similar to one found in a lighthouse, that was installed to make the monument more "functional"

Here's the real monument:

WBNM01.JPG

Finally, I realized why the running man has always looked disturbing to me. I could never place my finger on it. Apparently, neither could he - - he's missing his forearm! He's probably running after the pilot, screaming, "You ! You cut off my arm!"

com-0006c.jpg

com-0006a.jpg

Finally, I realized why the running man has always looked disturbing to me. I could never place my finger on it. Apparently, neither could he - - he's missing his forearm! He's probably running after the pilot, screaming, "You ! You cut off my arm!"

com-0006c.jpg

Actually, there is nothing wrong with his arm. You happen to be viewing it in a perspective that makes it appear shorter. A way that you can visualize this is to look at a closed door that is (say) 3' wide from a perspective that is perpendicular to the door. Then open the door sixty degrees and look at it from the same position. Now, it doesn't look as wide.

Chris

com-0006c.jpg

Actually, there is nothing wrong with his arm. You happen to be viewing it in a perspective that makes it appear shorter. A way that you can visualize this is to look at a closed door that is (say) 3' wide from a perspective that is perpendicular to the door. Then open the door sixty degrees and look at it from the same position. Now, it doesn't look as wide.

Chris

I don't know, Chris. I considered that it was merely perspective, but I still can't make that thing on the end of his arm into a hand. I don't necessarily think it's an error, but it looks too large to be a hand or a fist. Maybe that's what it's intended to be, but the artistic execution could use some work there.