• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feel like re-grading a 1893 Columbus?

32 posts in this topic

I posted this coin a little over a year ago with a much poorer photo. As a fun grading exercise, grade this one and then read what others said the first time around. If you regraded it, tell us how you did this time.

I bought this on eBay in September 2006 for $8.52 shipped. There was a little minor PVC, which I removed from the cheek and mainsail using acetone.

com_0001_vert.jpg

After looking at it again myself in these pics, I'm thinking the reverse would grade higher than the obverse. I think the obverse rates maybe a 30, the reverse a 40, overall, I call it a VF35, but the number's not really important to me. I like the eye appeal of the coin, particularly the reverse. For $8.52, how could I go wrong?

I'd grade it VF-30.

This coin is of interest because it was probably one of the million or so pieces that the Columbian Expo authorities released into circulation after the the Expo closed. The event did not make money overall, and these coins that were released helped to pay the expenses.

I paid $15 for this one Michael. Probably just a little bit too much but I like it.

1892ColumbianHalfObvRev.jpg

I'm sorry, but I don't like this coin particularly because it looks like it’s been cleaned and perhaps polished going by the photo.

I sold one of these coins a few months ago that had been dipped white for $10. The coin was an AU, but Columbian half dollars are one of those commemorative issues that should be toned and “look old.” Bright white is not the color for these coins because of the way they were stored. Unlike the later commemorative coins from the 1930s, most these coins went to non collectors who did use sulfur free envelopes for storage.

I paid $15 for this one Michael. Probably just a little bit too much but I like it.

1892ColumbianHalfObvRev.jpg

i like this coin as it is historical and also with above average eye appeal

it is an always popular in demand coin :cloud9:

as a collector of all coins with ships I just couldn't pass up this thread...my 1892..$25 slabbed in an old holder (has a thumb print, I'm trying to hide with a darker image)...and $45 for the 1893..in an old ANACS blue label/genie lamp slab which upgraded 3 points on submission to NGC from a 61 to a 64....which I felt was worth it

49405-MVC-540S.jpg.5735c972dea3307eb30152d4f835acb8.jpg

49406-MVC-541S.jpg.9e0370cd3cf1978860f4aa6888ecae71.jpg

49407-MVC-504S.jpg.6c0e0cd2ed7afaae38eb1731a4e79134.jpg

49408-MVC-503S.jpg.dc4dddffc6172afbe2545e5651d9a68b.jpg

I paid $5 for this one. Don't know what's up with the Obv. Not PVC, just a weird tone to it.

1893Columbianhalfobvrev.jpg

For 5 bucks you can't go wrong on that piece.

As for the obverse the black strip you see is from a rubber ban burn that was partially cleaned off with an abrasive like baking soda. Whatever you do keep rubber and rubber bans away from your coins, tokens and medals. The sulfur acids in rubber etch the surface with a mark that can almost never be removed.