• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MPL's: A New Collectors Journey

24 posts in this topic

I’m way outside my area of expertise here so I didn’t want to chime in ATS. Why don’t you and others just tell him to return the coin? There is a 7 days no questions asked return policy. Just a thought…

Well Lee, you are the man for these Lincolns. That guy sounds like someone who has a lot of money to blow on them. Hopefully his enthusiasum doesn't make him crash and burn.

This is a niche market, especially for uber-priced, wildly toned pieces, which I would advise against entering at the moment.

I didn't even really know about these until it was too late...and my thoughts match yours exactly.

I did, and still do, want one for a type set type of thing, but not at the prices they get right now...and I do wonder about some of them....when money is at play, people will do the craziest things...and pump them up as well...

Here was my recommendation to buyer:

<< I really dont know what to do now... Any thoughts. >>

This is an age old question that most of us face at some time in our collecting adventure. If it's a coin that when you look at it you always think it's been cleaned, then return it. But, when you look at it and decide that NGC graded the coin so that's good enough for me, then keep it. Ultimately, the decison is yours. Wish I could have been of more help.

I just wish there was a way to prevent new collectors getting caught up in things like this. I remember how I felt getting taken by things similar to this before I joined these forums.

I'm far from expert on MPL's but I know you have to be careful if you collect any copper.

Am I the only one that believes that the coin in question should be taken off the market forever? I don't view many things as black and white and I respect those who have walked the line on this coin but I have to say I really believe it should be removed from circulation.

I was bitten by the MPL bug a year or so ago. After looking at many examples, I didn't see a single one that was both attractive and (what I considered to be) original, and I never bought one.

So what does an original, unmolested MPL look like?

I have two that I consider to be original and attractive and one that I consider to be attractive, but do not know how original it really is. This is after looking within this niche for almost ten years and looking at a large percentage of the available coins. I'll embed images later.

Thanks for linking the thread. I almost never visit the Registry Forums on either message board. Maybe I should.

No sweat :)

Am I the only one that believes that the coin in question should be taken off the market forever? I don't view many things as black and white and I respect those who have walked the line on this coin but I have to say I really believe it should be removed from circulation.

Yes, it should be taken off the market. So should all those old silver coins that are unnaturally white that are market acceptable. So should all those hairlined, yet toned over Bust coinage that are market acceptable. Let's not even talk about the white Bust coinage that are market acceptable! :doh: So should all brushed half cents and large cents that are market acceptable. So should ALL the coins that are slabbed that have been worked in one way or another, but called market acceptable.

If we can just get NGC & PCGS to put together a $10-$20 billion fund to buy back all these coins then the collectors can have restored confidence in the TPG. That's my dream. (thumbs u Until this happens, I'm going to collect coins I know are 100% natural - silver eagles. :cloud9:

Three Simple Steps to a Happier Forum Experience™

1) Find michael's post and click on his username.

2) Select View Profile.

3) Click on Ignore This User.

Enjoy! :foryou:

michael.jpg

I did that for carsoncity so I don't have to read those insipid comments on the CAC and his out of context quotes! It works!!

Scott :hi:

Sounds like the argument my 4 kids tried to use when they were young, something like this, "Dad we weren't the only ones doing it and gee whiz the other kids even did worse things."

Hey if that justification works for you by all means keep believing it, but in the mean time there are those of us who don't buy into it. zzz