• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Handled with kid gloves... Grade this 1964 Kennedy! ::ANSWER REVEALED::

15 posts in this topic

ANACS problem free graded Kennedy. What would you grade it?

kennedyx.jpgkennedyxx.jpg

I'll have the answer via a photo of the full slab later this afternoon/early evening.

The question is not WHAT would I grade it but WHY would I grade it?

Why would someone pay to have this graded? If you did, I don't mean to be insulting. Unless it's a one of a kind. (actuallt, it may be, I've never seen one like it!)

The question is not WHAT would I grade it but WHY would I grade it?

Why would someone pay to have this graded? If you did, I don't mean to be insulting. Unless it's a one of a kind. (actuallt, it may be, I've never seen one like it!)

You're not being insulting as I get asked that question frequently with some of the stuff I have sent in! (Wait 'till you see the other Kennedy I had graded. . .)

The 1964 Kennedy being 90% silver didn't circulated much. Those that did are generally found in about XF- AU.

Locating these in the super worn out grades that are problem free is a challenge!

I have two others, (thanks to Greg) that are ANACS holdered at AG03, but this is the first I've had holdered as. . .

kennedyxxx.jpg

Now the question is did you make this one or find it somewhere? And I bet this would be worth a lot more if you crossed it to PCGS with their "Low" registry.
I purchased this one off of eBay where the seller offered the explanation it was from a "greased filled die". It sold for under $10.

Regarding the PCGS Registry... there are TWO PO1 1964 Kennedys graded. I own one of them (Craig, the owner of the finest low ball type set owns the other). There is also one FA2 known of which I own. It was the first coin to get me started collecting problem free, ultra low grade contemporary 20th century coinage.

I bought it from a dealer at Long Beach back in the early 1990's. He was putting together a raw set of low grade early commemoratives and happened upon a low grade 1964 Kennedy.

I had it graded (it's housed in the OGH) and it returned FA2.

Mine isn't nearly as "nice" as yours, but I pulled this bicentennial out of a roll several years ago. If I had only used it for a pocket piece since then it might be similar to yours.

48925-1976half.jpg.e796dcc992cceaf4f3181b59a1f1f90d.jpg

I guess I am missing something here. I have a 1964 D Kennedy which I received with change some time ago that is in pretty good shape. Why would there be an attempt to find one in the worst shape/

I guess I am missing something here. I have a 1964 D Kennedy which I received with change some time ago that is in pretty good shape. Why would there be an attempt to find one in the worst shape/

It's just one more way to collect coins. :)