• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you grade this half dime?

16 posts in this topic

MS65 [based on what I can perceive in the image]. My reasoning is:

1) Obverse: gem bloom on surfaces and Miss Liberty. Striations are not relevant to the grade, however the clash marks are slightly distracting. MS66-

2) Reverse: lovely peripheries with slightly dead centers and distracting strike weakness. MS65-

Combined grade MS65

My view on the first point mentioned by TDN is the opposite of his, which is that I find the clash marks to be non-distracting while the extensive die polish is something that would make me limit my interpretation of the value of the coin. Regardless, I can agree that it is a gem that is quite lovely.

My view on the first point mentioned by TDN is the opposite of his, which is that I find the clash marks to be non-distracting while the extensive die polish is something that would make me limit my interpretation of the value of the coin. Regardless, I can agree that it is a gem that is quite lovely.

I agree with TomB.

Thanks for comments, everyone.

What I thought was interesting is some say clash mark limits the grade and some say die polishing lines limit the grade of this coin.

If this is true, then I'll have to agree with the grade PCGS gave on this coin(MS64)

But the coin is much more vivid in person and the surface is very clean.

So, do clash marks&(or) die polishing lines generally limit the grade of coins?

I would have guessed MS64 or possibly MS65. I like clash marks on these and that doesn't bother me at all, but the die polish is a bit distracting. It looks too much like hairlines which makes me uncomfortable. I have an 1858 with similar die polish lines but less obvious (maybe due to the tone). I've seen plenty of these with a similar strike in MS65 or better but I always look for a better strike.

48870-1858obv.jpg

I have two 1862 half dimes and I think this date normally comes with a nice strike. Valintine lists six different varieties for this date, mostly due to date placement. Notice the date placement on both of mine and yours indicate that these are three different varities. Placement is most easily identified by the relation between the pendant and the "6".

48871-1862dates.jpg

Personally speaking, clash marks and die polishing lines don't bother me at all.

And dile polishing lines sometimes give a PL surface on a coin whitch I think is interesting and eye appealing.

But yes, the strike could be better on this coin.

I'm gald no one graded this coin lower than PCGS did(MS64) and I'll trust your skills more than PCGS this time because that makes me feel better :grin:;)

MarkFeld-this is the one you helped me acquire from David Lawrence so I guess you saw this coin in person last week.

RGT- That's a nice looking 1858 :acclaim: Please let me know whenever you get bored with it......although my gut tells me that won't happen anytime soon :/

And thank you for the educational post about 1862.

Nice looking coin Taro! Definitely better than fine. ;) Is that the "Liberty Smoking Pipe" variety? (:

I don't agree with TDN or TomB, just because.

Hoot

I would rather call it runny nose variety :grin: but I didn't notice the clash in front of liberty's nose/mouth until you pointed out.

I'm glad you like it. This one will be my highlight of 2007.