• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gregor, you troublemaker....8-), others welcome to add..

7 posts in this topic

Knew that would get your attention. Now, as I have been doing a LOT of reading lately, I have read comments about Q. David Bowers being "ousted" from B&M, and then the other day I read about something you posted in regards to your favorite "poster boy" David Hall concerning Bowers. What's the skinny on both issues?? Enquiring minds want to know... gossip.gif The man seems to be a good student of coins in general, as well as a prolific writer. I find his articles in CW to be a good read. I would think that his background would be handy to have around, especially in an auction house. confused.gif

I can't personally say anything in the know, but seems kind of strange dosen' it? CU owns both companies and I suspect Mr. Bowers and B&M were being pressured to do things that Mr. Bowers wouldn't do. Thus he was replaced by Paul Montgomery. Knowing nothing about Mongomery dosen't permit to say he is more of a "yes-man" but one has to wonder. If you've received and read B&M's monthy magazine over the past couple of years you'd notice that the coins offered were becoming just like David Hall's Rare Coins in that they only offered PCGS graded coins and were moving in this direction. I own a few of Mr. Bowers books and enjoy each tremendously. When he writes, I read. I suppose Mr. Bowers is a more down-to-earth and a traditional man whereas CU is, well, CU.

B&M has since moved to Louisiana from New Hampshire. IMHO, this move, plus management style issues between HRH and QDB drove their parting ways. Subsequently, most of the staff of B&M has moved to (stayed with?) Amer. Numismatic Rarities in Wolfesboro, NH.

Knew that would get your attention. Now, as I have been doing a LOT of reading lately, I have read comments about Q. David Bowers being "ousted" from B&M, and then the other day I read about something you posted in regards to your favorite "poster boy" David Hall concerning Bowers. What's the skinny on both issues?? Enquiring minds want to know... gossip.gif The man seems to be a good student of coins in general, as well as a prolific writer. I find his articles in CW to be a good read. I would think that his background would be handy to have around, especially in an auction house. confused.gif

Other that Hall & Bowers no one knows what went on. I had heard rumors for quite some time that Bowers was unhappy there and I expected him to leave for quite a while.

My guess is that David Hall and company wasn't too pleased with the B&M operation who stressed buying the coin and not the slab. The auction descriptions, which I have heard were written by Bowers, frequently were not complimentary of a coin and would say things like "perfect for a registry set where the buyer wants a number and not a nice coin. If you want a nice coin, don't buy this one."

I think the firing of Bowers will be the death knell for B&M. Someone mentioned their next sale is rather small.

David Hall is a used car salesman type of person. Sell it no matter what the truth actually is. This coin was owned by a little old lady who only looked at it on Sundays on her way to church. Bowers cared.

My thoughts exactly, Greg. I've corresponded with Mr. Bowers a few times and the man actually took the time to write back to me knowing I had no intentions of making a purchase at that time. He even gave me direction as to where to purchase what I wanted from someone else. B&M's prices were a bit higher than some, but from what I gather as you said, he preached quality, not the slab. I wonder if he regrets selling to CU a few years ago.