• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Upcoming Auction Question

11 posts in this topic

I am attending a local estate auction tomorrow and there is one particular item that has me somewhat baffled. I am hoping someone here can help me determine what the two coins are. Based on the original images (which I am unable to enlarge) they are both dated 1933, I can not tell the mint mark however. What are these, either I am blind going through my references or I have no idea.

Also showing an interesting looking Morgan Dollar Display. I realize that photos can play tricks but this may be an interested set to see tomorrow.

Rey

untitled.jpg

fi13.jpg

Rey, see these Ebay listings for various replicas of 1933 Saints: here

Also, please never bid on or buy anything if you don't know what it is. It's a great way to end up with a very bad deal. ;)

gold plated silver replicas 12 dollars each...... if not silver than 3 dollars each

the polished morgan silver dollars 11 dollars each and the silver certificate 5 dollars

Thank you for the info. I was just curious. I am going actually for some furniture and display cabinets perhaps but they do have some coins. Will see in hand tomorrow and believe me I will not even attempt to bid on anything off the wall or suspect. I was just really confused with the 1933 pieces. The Morgans I will have to see.

Thanks,

Rey

Thank you for the info. I was just curious. I am going actually for some furniture and display cabinets perhaps but they do have some coins. Will see in hand tomorrow and believe me I will not even attempt to bid on anything off the wall or suspect. I was just really confused with the 1933 pieces. The Morgans I will have to see.

Thanks,

Rey

Based on the images, my guess is that that the "Morgans" are replicas too.

The "tribute coin" double eagles are simply privately produced rounds generally made out of silver or clad with a very thin layer of gold and would be worth a few dollars each. The Morgan dollars are either also "tribute coins" or are real Morgans that have been polished to heck and back. Polished Morgans such as those generally sell for very little and I do not know if full retail is even $11 each for that type of material. The silver certificate is a few dollars. This is definitely a lot you do not want to own for essentially anything much over face value.

The 1933's were tribute coins. The morgans in the display had in fact been polished to "spoon" and back, what a shame. There were a few circulated Barber Quarters and some Unc. Walkers that were not too bad but I had no interest and they went for high money. The one coin I held out for was an 1881 S Half Eagle in MS 62 to 63 condition but it got too pricey for my comfort however was a nice coin. The scary part was they had a young girl handling the coins as they came up and she managed to drop three that I saw and many not in a flip will have her prints all over them. But it was fun overall. I told the manager of the auction they need to educate their folks on handling coins even the circulated ones. So nothing spent nothing gained or lost.