• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any concerns with cardboard storage boxes?

12 posts in this topic

I have a large number of coins in 2x2s that are in vinyl storage pages in a binder. I want to get a cardboard box to move them into long term and I wanted to know if there's anything to look out for/worry about. Are you guys aware of anything?

I think many of the boxes made today still contain chemicals that could be harmful to coins, and there is no way that you can determine whether they do or not. So, it would be most important to make sure that you protect the contents properly.

However, I don't think I would use any box that had Dow Chemical printed on the outside.

Chris

I doubt you will have many or any issues with cardboard boxes since the airflow through them will be very high and the coins are already in 2x2 holders, which, if they are like most 2x2 holders on the market, are cardboard 2x2 holders with a mylar window.

I doubt you will have many or any issues with cardboard boxes since the airflow through them will be very high and the coins are already in 2x2 holders, which, if they are like most 2x2 holders on the market, are cardboard 2x2 holders with a mylar window.

Hum...hard to argue with that logic.

Cardboard has a few natural enemies, avoid these and you should be fine:

water

direct sunlight

mishandling

crushing

burning

spontaneous combustion

gamma rays

smog

global warming

asteroids