• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian 1888 Cent, thoughts?

14 posts in this topic

I saw the following being offered and I kinda like the look of it (I'm a big fan of cents/pennies, including world cents) but I don't know much about anything that isn't 20th century US so I thought I'd get some opinions. The price would be the princely sum of $4 + shipping but I might be able to get a little knocked off that.

48668-hj-c188.jpg.441394fdc962958bbb2c3b175ac11240.jpg

For $4, if you like it buy it. Where can you get a similar US cent in comparable condition for anywhere near that. The only concern would be if the hit in front of her forehead or the spotting bother you.

1 of 4 million minted in bronze. The reverse is in better shape than the obverse.

$4 is a good price.

I too like the look and feel of large Cents and Pennys. I carry an 1861 British Penny that grades POOR. You can read the date and see the outlines of Victoria and Brittania. It drives the TSA flunkies nuts at the airport.

For $4, if you like it buy it. Where can you get a similar US cent in comparable condition for anywhere near that. The only concern would be if the hit in front of her forehead or the spotting bother you.

The hit near the forehead doesn't bother me at all. The spotting was my 1 concern as I was worried that it might indicate a serious problem. That said I've kept/collected much newer foreign coins with far less attractive marks.

1 of 4 million minted in bronze. The reverse is in better shape than the obverse.

$4 is a good price.

I too like the look and feel of large Cents and Pennys. I carry an 1861 British Penny that grades POOR. You can read the date and see the outlines of Victoria and Brittania. It drives the TSA flunkies nuts at the airport.

My grand mother has some poor to good british cents and half cents that date around 1910 to 1917. They're interesting looking old coins.

The same seller is also offering an 1895 in the $15-25 range. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the price difference. I'm leaning towards "yes" just because it's a much nicer coin overall.

48746-hz-c195.jpg.e9acea92e6876130666b392970d0d9b6.jpg

1895 has a mintage of 1,200,000. It is definetly a nicer looking Cent.

I would call the pictured coin VF/EF.

My May 2007 COINS magazine lists it at $10/$16 in those grades.

Wow, Thanks for the info. He's advertising the coin as being EF (the 1888 is advertised as VF). It was my impression that $25 seemed high and I was angling more for the $15-20. Since his BIN price is $24.95 I'll probably either bid at about $17-$18 (starting bid is $15) or e-mail him and see if I can argue down the BIN price.

Apparently he uses another price guide that puts the XF at $30 and the last time he sold a "VF/XF" he got $18 for it so he decided to stick with BIN at $25; So I just placed a bid. Now I just have to wait 4 days...

I'm also looking at what look to be a decent F/VF Canadian 1859 and a couple of nice VF/EF English large pennies that range from 1862 to 1918, all of which are trending for about $6-8 after shipping.

Revenant, if you like the look of these old large cents, you may want to check out the coppers from Jersey--if I remember, there were some gorgeous ones for pretty cheap...same busts as Britain but some nice reverses ...hope this link works..I'm not good at posting links--here's a great 1/26th farthing dated 1844 for only 2.99 start bid http://cgi.ebay.com/VICTORIA-JERSEY-1-26-OF-A-SHILLING-1844_W0QQitemZ150192492926QQihZ005QQcategoryZ538QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks, Jackson. I've added that to my watch list and I'll see where it goes. Like I said I'm pretty much just a fan of coppers in general. They're almost universal and make a great point of comparison between different countries and the same country from one time to another. I've always thought the English/Canadian cents were cool because they not only show the progression of the monarchy, but the portrait ages as the monarch does. :)