• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An even more sophisticated ebay SPOOFING scam (CAUTION: SCAM)

7 posts in this topic

Just for your information, scammers are apparently now using eBay's own messaging system to implement a spoofing scam. The scammer is hoping I'll cut-and-paste the "item link" he included in the message.

Don't fall for this scam!

I'm including a screen-shot instead of a cut-and-paste for your protection - sorry about the size:

junk2800.jpg

Thanks for the heads up james. Spammers will try anything. People just have to be able to notice anything that puts a question mark in thier mind.

Would anyone care to enlighten me as to where the scam is lurking?

By what I'm interpreting this as, is this is not a coin that James is selling. So it seems to be a bogus email.

I believe that the scam is the redirect to an auction page that is hosted off of ebay, just after the phrase "You can still see the item here". If I had to guess the scam is an attempt to get your ebay uid/pw from this bogus page...Mike

It is in fact an item I am selling (actually, sold already).

The user is a legitimate eBay account, presumably hijacked. The scammer included a URL in his message to me, hoping I would paste it into my browser. I did this on a junk computer, and sure enough, it goes to a mock-up (spoof) eBay page that requests your login and password.

The subtlety here is than an unalert person would think it's safe to use the URL since it "came to me through eBay".