• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My latest addition...

11 posts in this topic

This Saint arrived in the mail today, it's very nice for an AU coin, it still has a lot of luster remaining, especially around the stars. The toning is very nice, sort of a bluish green tint, hard to pick up in the photos. Obverse Reverse

Well Don, I have a 13-D in AU that looks nicer, but I'll take this one. It's no top pop like your 71 proof Kennedys, but then again NGC has only graded 282 of these total, with 19 in AU-55 and 239 higher. It's one of the few that you can actually find circulated, though it's still darn tough!!!

I would agree Mike, in fact, personally, I think there are probably less than 500 extant, and even that number could be high.

OK, so I can't see very well. Is that a 25-S? Is it an AU58?

I've seen that date a few times in auction and it's expensive. I don't know the $20 series all that well but is that a date that doesn't come circulated too often? That reminds me of the $10 30-S. It's an expensive coin so you have to pay a lot for it given you can't really find an AU. When you do it's almost always a problem coin. Essentially a damaged MS coin downgraded. It's just hard to find nice AND keep in budget.

jom

For jom and the rest of us (like me) who are nearsighted, here is a closeup of the date:

1925s20d3.jpg

And yes, it is a 25-S, and yes it is an extremely difficult date, but it's not an AU-58, it's an AU-55. However, unlike many other branch mint Saints from the 1920s, this one did circulate. Looking at the NCG pops, for the 22-S, 3% are graded below MS-60, for the 24-D, about 10%, 24-S, 5%, 25-D, 2%, 26-D, 11%, and 26-S about 3%. Now, for the 25-S, over 40% are graded below MS-60! So it is much easier to find nice circulated examples of this coin, that are more affordable so you can stay in budget. I agree with your assesment on the other dates since they really did not circulate, but fortunately for many of those dates, the low MS coins are still somewhat affordable (except the 27-D of course!).