• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin World's new supplemental Coin Values magazine

12 posts in this topic

I just got the latest CW (October 6) and am quite impressed with the magazine that they include with each first-of-the-month issue. The magazine was 106 pages long, uses color photographs for each coin, and has a number of articles.

But, what really impressed me is the section on Jefferson Nickels has a quote from our own Mark Hooten that discusses full step Jeffs. Mark - lately it seems like you're everywhere!

(edited by request of RWW)

That was a very impressive article on Jeffs a couple weeks back too. I didn't get to read it until the thread was buried but it is a good one.

The new pullout guide is very nice and a big improvement. The only thing that remains to be seen is if they'll keep up with price changes or not, but so far it looks great.

Their pricing on Seated Liberty dollars seemed to be very undervalued unless their price has taken a nosedive in the last month. My XF45 1861 dollar was listed at c.1500 last month, now it's listed at under a thousand.

I don't have much confidence in their pricing because of this and because of their half-cent values are way over priced.

Thank you cladking.

I also find their prices a bit off for certain items, e.g., some (but not all) of the full step Jeffersons. I'm sure that's true with many series. I do know that they are very active about working on this guide, unlike the greysheets. I personally think that the CW Trends guide is the best sight-seen retail guide out there. It's also nice how comprehensive the guide is, now on a month-by-month basis.

Hoot

Hey guys,

Isn't the new magazine a replacement for the CW Trends? If so, shouldn't the prices be the same data from Trends that is just presented in a new format?

Thanks, Dennis

Yes. It's a nicer pub, as it comes out once a month and is a full summary. Trends underwent some big changes this last year with inclusion of much more information, especially for moderns.

Hoot

Hoot, I couldn't find your quote anywhere. Which page was it on? I'd like to see it because I do "give a hoot". cool.gif

I personally think that the CW Trends guide is the best sight-seen retail guide out there.

I agree. Sometimes we don't stop and think what an undertaking it is to put out a retail price guide. They have to come up with some kind of average. When you take a coin in a certain grade, the prices it sells for can be all over the place when the information is taken from dealer sales, Auctions etc.

I personally think that the CW Trends guide is the best sight-seen retail guide out there.

I agree. Sometimes we don't stop and think what an undertaking it is to put out a retail price guide. They have to come up with some kind of average. When you take a coin in a certain grade, the prices it sells for can be all over the place when the information is taken from dealer sales, Auctions etc.

Agree completely. Hell, it takes me hours just to price out a coin I want to bid at auction using the grey, CW etc etc. I can't imagine trying to do that from week to week in EVERY series. My head is spinning just thinking about it....

jom

Hoot, I couldn't find your quote anywhere. Which page was it on? I'd like to see it because I do "give a hoot". cool.gif

Thanks Victor - page 59, in a box at the bottom.

Hoot