• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Help with an ANACS Slab...

19 posts in this topic

How old do the ANACS Slabs with the blue labels and the Genie Lamp on the back date to? This would be 1989 to 1991? Or are they older? Sorry no pics available at this point in time. I just purchased one and would like to know how old. Thanks in Advance.

I believe thats the PNG Lamp from when ANACS was the oficial grader of the ANA and PNG...Don't know the dates though. I do know that I tend to give that era slab a more careful look and have paid a premiun for them. They are usually considered conservatively graded..

Well the coin I just bought was in one of those slabs and I paid a premium for it. Needless to say I am very happy. I will reveal the coin when I get it in hand. I had my local dealer hold it for me.

ANACS certified coins beginning in 1972, but it was not until 1989, I believe, that they used slabs that we would recognize today. Prior to that time they used a large card that had a photograph of the coin on in and then the coin was in a pouch. The slabs that have the PNG logo on the reverse and that have no barcode on the obverse were produced from approximately 1989-1991.

ANACS certified coins beginning in 1972, but it was not until 1989, I believe, that they used slabs that we would recognize today. Prior to that time they used a large card that had a photograph of the coin on in and then the coin was in a pouch. The slabs that have the PNG logo on the reverse and that have no barcode on the obverse were produced from approximately 1989-1991.

Good to know. Tom how would you say coins in those slabs are generally graded? Conservative? Speaking of MS coins in particular.

ANACS certified its first coin as genuine on June 15, 1972. Don't know if this is the same type slab your talking about tho'.

Those were the photo certs you see sometimes.

At this point in time it is tough to tell about what you will find in this generation holder since they, too, have been picked over in a similar manner to the older PCGS and NGC holders. If the coin has just come to market after being off-market for ten or so years then there is a good chance that the grading is accurate or somewhat tight. If, however, the coin has been kicked around a few times in the last few years then my optimism would not be as high.

This coin has been off the market for some time. Me and the dealer both thougt the coin was conservatively graded. He just got the coin in 2 days ago. I did pay a premium for it, but was glad to.

An ANACS slab with the lamp of knowledge logo on the back should also have the PNG logo as well, there shoule be no barcode on th front label and the underprint on the front label should read Official ANA Grading. These were used from very late 1989 til early 1990 when the comapny was sold to Amos Press. Amos Press ANACS slabs began in early to mid 1990. The underprint now just read ANACS and the logo was changed.

Were these sealed in any way? I still don't know if I would take a chance on buying those like that, and relying on the grade. I guess the coins could possibly be switched out pretty easily from these huh?

Were these sealed in any way? I still don't know if I would take a chance on buying those like that, and relying on the grade. I guess the coins could possibly be switched out pretty easily from these huh?

Coins can't be effectively switched since the photos were extremely high resolution and any marks or other blemishes on the coin should exactly show on the photos just like matching two finger prints.

Here is one of those old anacs cards used prior to the actually plastic slab.

Fourth generation ANACS certificate (ANACS 4) used between July 1980 and mid to late 1983.

Here is one of those old anacs cards used prior to the actually plastic slab.

Fourth generation ANACS certificate (ANACS 4) used between July 1980 and mid to late 1983.

I've bought a couple of these now, and each time the coin upgraded or would upgrade significantly. I have an 1880 proof Indian Head that was graded PR60 on the certificate and is now in a 63 holder, and this 20 cent piece I think would have no problem going 40. If I come across anymore, I will take a serious look at them.

JJ