• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are you willing to buy...

15 posts in this topic

I just bought a 1958 Franklin in PCGS MS67 that IMO is TECHNICALLY 66. There is no question that it should not be in a 67 holder as there are 2 reed marks on the top of Ben's skull. On the other hand, I'm quite familiar with the series and 1958-P Franklins in particular, and this coin is exquisite looking. '58-P's often come with blue toning, but this blue toning has got to be seen to be appreciated... rich iridescent royal blue covering most of both sides with some soft iridescent gold thrown in. The coin has a decent shot at being graded FBL (which makes a BIG difference for '58-P's). I'm more or less comfortable with what I paid for it.

Just wondering. Are you willing to buy a coin that is slabbed at grade X, when you see that the coin is technically 1 grade below grade X, but the coin is otherwise a beautiful looking piece? Assume you know the coin's series well.

I guess most of it is based on how bad I want the coin. If I'm certain that the grade is not what it is certified as, then I will usually only pay what I think it's worth. I would probably add a little premium if it has a toning or look that I like, but other than that, I wouldn't go high dollar for the slab if it was something I could live without.

I like the way Goose3 grades an 1807 raw half over on the buy/sell forum at PCGS... "I grade this one $600.00".

That makes sense to me.

If you grade your wonderfully toned Franklin "$XXX.xx" and are good with that, all is well.

Are you willing to buy a coin that is slabbed at grade X, when you see that the coin is technically 1 grade below grade X, but the coin is otherwise a beautiful looking piece?

You'd better believe I would, and I do! This happens with bust coins very often. I would say on average, I find half the bust coins in slabs are overgraded, but many times have other characteristics that propel them well beyond mere "technical" factors.

Beauty (eye-appeal) trumps technical grade virtually every time, in my opinion.

I will buy if the price is reasonable with respect to my grade. Usually for coins certified a point higher than my grade, the price is too high for me, but there have been exceptions. And yes, I take other factors besides "technical grading" into account in arriving at my grade. In other words, I will stretch a little for eye appeal or a hammered strike or some other interesting feature.

The grade on the holder rarely carries much weight for me when buying coins. I have a minimum....MS63 but other than that if the coin looks nice or has the toning I desire.....I pay what I want to pay. I recently paid $80 for a toned 1960 Franklin half in PF67. I wasn't spectacular but I liked the purple and I think I paid about double what the coin is worth but the seller wouldn't go lower and I wanted it so.... (shrug)

Not all of my purchases have to be great investments.....you win some and you lose some but as long as you go into it with your eyes wide open.......then I am always comfortable with those type of decisions :applause:

Attractively toned coins get a bump in grade as we saw in the Battle Creek collection of Morgan Dollars. Yes, I would by a coin that was graded higher than it deserved provided it is an appealing coin.

I recently bought a pretty, but overgraded seated half dime in PCGS65 holder.

I posted a thread about the coin on this forum and many adviced me to return it.....but I still keep it :grin:

If you think it's hard to get a properly graded replacement and you do love it, then I think you'll miss that coin after you return it.

Attractively toned coins get a bump in grade as we saw in the Battle Creek collection of Morgan Dollars. Yes, I would by a coin that was graded higher than it deserved provided it is an appealing coin.

Actually I would say that the toning bump occurs much more often at NGC than PCGS. This is not to denigrate NGC, it is just a different style of grading.

The trouble with buying coins that over graded in the holder, even if they look nice, is that the grade on the holer is a starting point for the resale price. If you are collector who is going to hold the coin for a long time, the over grading is less important or not important at all. If you are a dealer, who is looking for a quick flip, over grading is problem.

AND there are darn few dealers who are going to sell a coin with MS-67 marked on it for MS-66 money. At least I've not run into very many of them unless the coin was in a "third world holder." If it's in a PCGS or NGC holder, that MS-67 carries a lot of weight.