• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Display Case Project

21 posts in this topic

I just wanted to share this in case it can be of some help to anyone. I was trying to determine a way to display my Railroad Coins and Medals at home in an orderly fashion so I set out to Michael's. They have numerous shadow boxes, etc. but I also found what they call "collector cases" that have a hinged top, which was ideal. Now I can just open up the door and change out, rearrange etc. very easily.l They have several sizes so I picked up a middle size one.

I then went to Lowe's and found some trim that had the same color of wood stain. In trying to determine spacing for the shelves I took into consideration my two largest medals which turn out to be not quite as tall as an NGC slab. Just playing around I found out that the case would accomodate 5 shelves each one NGC slab apart from the next. So now if I want to I can perhaps use more of these cases for slabbed coins. I used felt pads with adhesive like you use under table legs, etc. on either end of the trim shelves to get a tight fit (my sawing skills proved to be a little lacking). So now they can be moved around as well since they are not permanently attached to the case.

Sorry about the fuzzy picture, I tried for 10 minutes to get a good image without shaking while holding the camera free hand.

Total Cost - About $35.00

Rey

Display.jpg

Well acutally I found out that at first closing the lid and opening it disrupted things. So I am going to probably lay a thin strip of something that has an adhesive backing to the front top edge of the trim pieces that will keep the pieces in place. I had place them at an angle but you are right that when there is any movement, they may tend to slide forward and out.

Rey

You know Rey, I was sitting here staring at you shadowbox after reading the answer of the coins moving trying to think of an idea. I came up with something. Maybe you could find some thin styrophome that you could cut and glue to the shelves. Then just make little cuts into it for each individual coin??? Might work.

I do something very similar in our home, but use a piece that opens from the side like a book. A solution to having things move around is either to have a groove placed into the slats for the medals or to have small felt pads put onto the slats. I'll take a picture shortly and put it up tonight.

Rey, you can get a small plastic stand, L-shaped, and the vertical piece can slide forward or backward to adjust the angle. I'll post a photo of it when I get home. I don't know if JP's Corner has it, but it is also perfect for propping up coins to photograph. For the larger medals, you can get those hinged curio stands. Most arts & crafts shops carry them.

Chris

Hey Rey, go to the craft store (or Wal-mart) and get some of those foam stickon sheets. cut them the width of your "shelves" and that will stop the sliding.

It comes in all sorts of colors, but white or black would do in your case....

OR, cut grooves in the molding like they do in china cabinets to keep plates from sliding, so the edges of the holders will catch on the groove....

MM :)

Looks great, but I have one concern. If the unthinkable occurred and (a) coins fell out of the box or (b) the box fell over, any raw coins stand a great chance of getting mauled. I'd suggest only putting in what you can protect (e.g., with airtites) or what you can afford to potentially get damaged.

I do something very similar in our home, but use a piece that opens from the side like a book. A solution to having things move around is either to have a groove placed into the slats for the medals or to have small felt pads put onto the slats. I'll take a picture shortly and put it up tonight.

Hey Tom, would love to see a pic of yours. Mine too opens from the side.

Thanks to all for the tips on improving the initial design, the slippage, etc. is a concern for me.

Rey

Looks like I'm off to "Michael's" very soon. I really like that shaddow box.

Wouldn't mind displaying lesser valued coins at home -

did that shaddow box have an optional plexiglass front panel ?