• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Commemortives – Proof vs. Unc. Which to you prefer?

13 posts in this topic

If you are like most collectors, when you order a modern commemorative coin or set of coins, you buy them in the Proof version, not the Uncirculated. Sales figures show for issue after issue that the Proof pieces out sell the Uncirculated coins, sometimes by substantial margins. frown.gif

Then after the government sales are completed, the prices for the Uncirculated pieces have often gone up beyond the issue prices while the Proof coins have fallen to WELL below issue.

Do you kick yourself when this happens? 893frustrated.gif Do you wish that you had purchased the Uncirculated pieces even though you don’t like them as well because you would have made money? foreheadslap.gif Have you changed your buying patterns and started to purchase the Uncirculated pieces because of the possibility of making more money on them? acclaim.gif

I much prefer the Proof coins to the Uncirculated pieces. Despite the fact that the Uncirculated pieces are just as sharp (in fact they could be called Matte Proofs), I much prefer the mirrored fields and the frosted devices to the uniform matte surfaces.

What do you think? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Has the possibility of monetary gain altered your collecting habits?

I’ve attached a picture of the Proof and Uncirculated versions of the 1986 Statue of Liberty $5 gold for comparison purposes.

273675-LibertyGold.JPG.1144d5c7b3fdfcc73fed0cc38bdda85b.JPG

I mainly buy the uncs, and that's pretty much how I've always done it (in many series, there is little if any difference in values, the SOL coins you posted are a case in point). I like the look of the uncs better on most coins, so I generally am buying on the look. In some cases I do buy the proof, like the current Wright Bros. commems, I bought the uncs, except for the dollar, which I thought looked better in proof. In many instance I buy both, like the Buffalo Dollars. Some I get all, but the ones like the MT. Rushmore and Columbus, I bought the 6-coin sets on the secondary market below issue price. I admit though that sometimes it seems to make more sense to buy the uncs for the value, but in the end I wonder when the money train will end, and people start buying all uncs and ignore the proofs! 893whatthe.gif

The proofs are better looking and are what I collect. I have to admit that the price performance of the Uncs. has been much better. The few Uncs. I do have were purchased strictly for eventual sale. I didn't order any Uncs. of the First Flight commems as I feel this issue is fully priced at the time of issue. I really hesitated at buying the First Flight gold proof (because of the cost) but eventually did order one. Other than creating varieties for collectors to buy, the Uncs. really don't seem to have any reason to be minted.

I like both the uncs and the pf coins fairly equally for their unique attributes. I think the pf coins are far more dramatic with the deep watery fields and excellent frosty devices. On the other hand, I like the uncs for their incredibly satiny surfaces and "MS" type lustre. Can't make up my mind, so I always get both. tongue.gif

Hoot

Other than creating varieties for collectors to buy, the Uncs. really don't seem to have any reason to be minted.

I suppose you could say that about all commems, and proof regular issues.

There's only one modern commem I really like... and I have both a proof and an uncirculated version of it...

The Buffalo Dollar.

The rest I could care less about owning.

As the mint issues new commems, I buy both versions: proof & uncirculated. I just recieved the Wright brother's gold yesterday. Nice coins with an esthetic design. I have both versions of the dollar and half on back order.

As for modern commem gold which I do not have, I just purchase the mint state version because of the lower mintage and greater potential for appreciation.

I do have a goal of eventually acquiring all modern commem dollars at some point. Both proof and uncirculated coins have their own unique advantages.

I always buy both the proof and uncirculated issues. I like the look of the proof’s mirrored fields and the frosted devices, but I also like the clean matted look of the uncirculated coin.

I also have been keenly aware of the lower mintages of the uncirculated coins and have always felt that it just makes sense to buy a lower mintage coin.

John