• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The CAC Needs To Communicate Effectively Before It Slips Past The Irrelevant

48 posts in this topic

I think it's pathetic that some posters over there insulted/attacked CAC based on an on-line image of a coin. Not to mention that they hadn't seen the coin in person, they ignored the fact that the image was almost certainly not representative of what the coin actually looked like and they didn't indicate that they had any problem with the grading company which had assigned the grade in the first place.

There were certainly some good posts with legitimate criticisms, but I believe they were outnumbered by cheap shots. I don't have any objection to honest/fair-minded criticisms, for example, the type of which Tom and Lou post here.

Mark, As sad and pathetic as it is, I'm sure that it doesn't surprise you. There are a small group of posters who seem to get enjoyment out of those type of attacks. Unfortunate, but true...MIke

I think it's pathetic that some posters over there insulted/attacked CAC based on an on-line image of a coin. Not to mention that they hadn't seen the coin in person, they ignored the fact that the image was almost certainly not representative of what the coin actually looked like and they didn't indicate that they had any problem with the grading company which had assigned the grade in the first place.

There were certainly some good posts with legitimate criticisms, but I believe they were outnumbered by cheap shots. I don't have any objection to honest/fair-minded criticisms, for example, the type of which Tom and Lou post here.

Mark, do you think PCGS saw the criticisms as cheap shots, and that was the reason for yanking it? Or do you suspect other motives?

No James, my guess is that wasn't why they nuked the thread. After all, the shots were at CAC, not PCGS, and the (most recent) coin in question was graded by NGC. :devil:

It seems that PCGS has been consistent in trying to keep CAC threads off of their website.

PCGS needs to consider some of the members replies to posts anyway. Most all posters ATS have smart*#* comments about most any posts anyway. That's why I tend to veer away from ATS.

PCGS needs to consider some of the members replies to posts anyway. Most all posters ATS have smart*#* comments about most any posts anyway. That's why I tend to veer away from ATS.

That's why a lot of people veer away. I only post there if I'm feelin' feisty.

I called out a couple of the troublemakers over there Friday night who never add anything important to a thread. The sad part is that they don't realize how poorly they are viewed by most the folks over there. I see they are at it again in a spoof thread. SSDD.

I called out a couple of the troublemakers over there Friday night who never add anything important to a thread. The sad part is that they don't realize how poorly they are viewed by most the folks over there. I see they are at it again in a spoof thread. SSDD.

I noticed that as well. Annoying!

I noticed that as well. Annoying!

You'd think that with the amount of time their censors spend patrolling the forums that they would actually find all the OT, spoof, and BS threads over there and yank them. They can find a two-post thread buried on page 6 that says a single disparaging word about PCGS, but they cannot seem to find a seventy-five-post thread that is OT on the front page - even if the thread subject says OT: [...] in it. :doh:

You'd think that with the amount of time their censors spend patrolling the forums that they would actually find all the OT, spoof, and BS threads over there and yank them.

Yeah, but Greg, if they did that, then NGC would have quite a bit more traffic than their forums lol .

:grin:

I see they are at it again in a spoof thread. SSDD.

Link, please? You know I can't resist a good spoof :devil: !

It's more stupid than funny The coin posse Needs To Communicate Effectively Before It Slips Past The Irrelevant To Something Worse

As I wrote to a couple of posters (edited to add: make that three, and in contacting the third one I put my foot in my mouth in telling him he had put his foot in his mouth:juggle:) to that thread:

The "coin posse" that posters love to take shots at, recovered well over a million dollars last year on behalf of people, some of them elderly, who got ripped off by telemarketers. The group charged nothing for their help, doesn't take a piece of the pie like attorneys sometimes do, is not for profit and has no hidden agenda.

Yet a number of posters who do nothing of their own to help out victims of telemarketing fraud, love to take shots at them, because they don't help everyone or do things the way they want them to. That sure seems unfair to me, to say the least.

Sincerely,

Mark Feld

The "coin posse" that posters love to take shots at, recovered well over a million dollars last year on behalf of people, some of them elderly, who got ripped off by telemarketers. The group charged nothing for their help, doesn't take a piece of the pie like attorneys sometimes do, is not for profit and has no hidden agenda.

To be fair to the people who take shots, we do not know that the "coin posse" does not have a hidden agenda. After all, it's basically a hidden club with little, if any, disclosure to the community.

How many years has it been around? After all those years do we know who the members are, what exactly they go after, how they decide who to go after, what actions they use to recover money, etc?

The coin posse might be golden, but I have no way of knowing if that million dollars they recovered was justified or not or if I would approve of their tactics.

James, you and any others who want to read the thread that was removed from the PCGS site may email me and I will attempt to send the attachments to you via email. I saved the thread late last night when there were 88 responses, I believe, but it was yanked this morning when there were 109 responses, if I remember correctly.

I finally read the entire Tom B post, and he nicely summarized my stance on the CAC as well. In summary, 2 things are troubling:

1. The lack of disclosure as to who owns, controls, and grades for the CAC. None of this information is provided on the website, and all we know is through unoffical posts by alleged CAC particpants on message boards, some articles, and hearsay posts from those who commincated directly with CAC particpants.

2. The lack of definition of CAC standards for what qualifies for a CAC sticker, and the possible redefintion of "PQ" from "high end for the grade" (as it is generally understood to mean) to "solid for the grade or better" or "not overgraded" (i.e. "the coin is not a dog").

Ulitmately, I do not see how the market can have any confidence in the CAC without official, definitive discloure of the above.

To be fair to the people who take shots, we do not know that the "coin posse" does not have a hidden agenda. After all, it's basically a hidden club with little, if any, disclosure to the community.

How many years has it been around? After all those years do we know who the members are, what exactly they go after, how they decide who to go after, what actions they use to recover money, etc?

The coin posse might be golden, but I have no way of knowing if that million dollars they recovered was justified or not or if I would approve of their tactics.

Greg, even if people know nothing about the organization or know a lot and don't approve, that's no excuse for some of the comments I've seen from people who apparently aren't doing anything, themselves, to help.

Here you go - this link to their website should answer some of your questions:

Numismatic Consumer Alliance, Inc.