• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first 18th Century coin: A 1799 $

17 posts in this topic

B-7 BB156 R4

I gone and done it. This coin is really nice. I know there are a few nics, but they hardly detract from a coin this big, with such nice toning.

100_1050.jpg

100_1053.jpg

Makes me want another one!

I like the piece, and think that is easily worth strong VF money. (I hope I've not embarrassed you if you paid EF money for it.)

I'd net grade the coin VF-30. It's strong original EFsharpness coin with a mark on the cheek, an obverse rim nick at 3k and a reverse rim nick 4k (really minor) which hauls the grade down 10 to 15 points.

It's a nice pick up and in many ways better than the first Bust I owned, which I purchased in 1968. That had VF-30 sharpness with no significant nicks, but it been dipped white. Back in those days that was THE COLOR for Bust dollars. Most collectors. exept the purists, did not care for the original stuff. hm

I like the piece, and think that is easily worth strong VF money. (I hope I've not embarrassed you if you paid EF money for it.)

I'd net grade the coin VF-30. It's strong original EFsharpness coin with a mark on the cheek, an obverse rim nick at 3k and a reverse rim nick 4k (really minor) which hauls the grade down 10 to 15 points.

It's a nice pick up and in many ways better than the first Bust I owned, which I purchased in 1968. That had VF-30 sharpness with no significant nicks, but it been dipped white. Back in those days that was THE COLOR for Bust dollars. Most collectors. exept the purists, did not care for the original stuff. hm

It is in a 40 holder and I paid under current sheet XF level.

From what I have seen in 40 and 45 holders, this looks to have close to 45 wear, and yes, points should be knocked off because of hits, but maybe a few gained back for eye appeal IMHO.

If you were able to get it for less than EF Gray Sheet bid, you did OK. Flawless EF coins bring more than ask with that general look.

Sadly the rule of thumb has become that you have to pay the next grade up price for a really nice, properly graded piece. Of late it's gotten worse than that.

If you were able to get it for lass than EF Gray Sheet bid, you did OK. Flawless EF coins bring more than ask with that general look.

Sadly the rule of thumb has become that you have to pay the next grade up price for a really nice, properly graded piece. Of late it's gotten worse than that.

I hear you. It is really hard to find these with a decent look, even in higher grades, so for the time being, I am content with this. It really looks nice in hand.

Dave, you gone and done and done it alright!! What a nice $ and one of the first. I would have graded it EF but I am the last with credentials for grading that coin. Congratulations on a wonderful addition to your collection.

i love the coin (worship)

one of the nicest eye appealing large eagle 1799 bust dollars

i have seen in quite a long time :cloud9:

great eye appeal

technical grade xf 45 minus 10 points for rim ding and hits on reverse also add another 7 points for eye appeal net xf 42

i grade this coin xf all day long