• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suggestions on what can be done about fradulent coins on Ebay

18 posts in this topic

After reading numerous posts over the past few weeks about fradulent coins and/or listings on Ebay, I wonderred what, besides the new rules about TPGs, can be done.

Should raw coins be banned?

Should sellers of fradulent coins be banned (they supposedly are but...)?

Should they be prosecuted/ If so, how? Penalties?

What else can be done?

I see this as a very disturbing and rapidly increasing trend. I don't like the "let the buyer beware" type answer as I feel it hurts our beloved hobby overall.

Love to hear from you guys (and girls)!

Selling fake or altered coins with intent to defraud is a federal crime and should be dealt with by the proper authorities (Secret Service). Unfortunately, it's not high on their priority list.

So, for now... buyers beware.

on the site that im createing, i want just that! no coins from china! i want more to be done also so i feel i must be the 1 to do it! this thread is awsome! give the ideas so i know what you want cause i want it also.

more listing pulled after so many ppl say there is something wrong. being "grounded" would help more also.

* when caught doing something wrong get a warning and be MADE to change it/pull it.

* when caught selling fraudulent coins they are pulled and banned.

* get more info on sign up so ppl cant create a shill account.also when banned they wont be able to create a second account

* have a group to watch for bad items. these ppl will be for just the purpose of finding questionable items and dealing with them.

* real location stated on info when seeing feedback ( ae: the state they live in at least ) not just in the usa.

* work with law enforcement to have "criminal acts" looked at. or at least on file as reported.

Absolutely not. There is no reason to punish a large segment of the collector population because of a few bad apples.

i do think that certin coins should be graded or something . like the trade dollars. something to show they are genuine. and on the return of the trade dollar why not get graded or authenticated.

Absolutely not. There is no reason to punish a large segment of the collector population because of a few bad apples.

I agree here. If raw coins were banned, this would drop the rate of sellers on ebay by a large margin. I don't think that ebay would jepardize that much of a loss in profit.

raw coins shouldnt ever be banned! but they should be policed more!

also most ppl add a grade number to justify asking price on raw coins. which in my opinion is not needed. if i sell a raw coin i give clear picture and ask them to decide grade. not even the tpg get it right all the time so its up to buyer to decide if it is worth that to him/her.

but on coins that are widely reproduced in fakes there needs to be a beter way to police them. and right now its folks like us that do the policeing and it helps alot . the tpg's need to jump in a lil more also and help keep there names good also. people selling fake slabs/coins also put a name on them.

moovyz,

You say you don't want to hear "buyer beware" but the majority of what can be done to prevent fraudulent sales can only be done by the buyer. No one wants our government to monitor or certainly not take over all coin sales. In a free society, their will always be thieves-it cannot be stopped. They can be punished if caught if enough people(buyers) complain. Its no different for ebay-if one or two people complain about a seller who has sold 2k or more items with no major complaints then they will not do anything about it(likely)-now on the same note, when 50 or more buyers complain-I feel something would be done. We as buyers cannot just sit around and say something must be done-we must do something. Start a sellers watch list-but then someone(buyers) must do something-who will do it? Its on our shoulders not just Mark Felds and the other tireless few who constantly fight our battles. JMO

It's for sure that the feedback system doesn't work. Buyers and sellers are held ransom for it.

Why can't eBay set up a chat board where people can air their complaints so that the rest of the public can view them. Anyone wishing to post on the boards would have to register specifically for the chat boards (independent of the EBay sales/auction format) with their eBay username and the information would be verified. You wouldn't necessarily have to register if you are just checking the "information log" for any posts referring to another eBay member, buyer or seller. These message boards would be used primarily for information gathering about any buyer or seller, and other people could view the information to help them determine if they choose to do business with an eBay member. A buyer can decide whether or not to do business with a seller. A seller can decide whether or not to block a buyer.

It's secondary purpose would allow eBay to monitor it and keep a running record of the number of posts that concern a specific registered user. Remember, I said that this message board is to air complaints, not praise. Of course, if someone wants to respond to a complaint against them, they would also have to register, and board members and eBay could take this information into consideration before deciding on a course of action.

I don't know if it would work. It's just a thought. I agree that you can't turn bad boys into angels. I just wish that there was a garbage disposal big enough for them.

Chris

Unfortunately, theres not much that can be done, Ebay would have to hire coin experts in every field. That's not realistic, it's the same with every scam out there, you need to know what you paying for. There is a coin forum on Ebay now, people come in with questions all the time. here is a link. http://neighborhoods.ebay.com/coins

No, I don't have a problem with the buyer beware part. That being said, if I purchase a raw coin that's counterfeit and I report it to Ebay, I want something more to be done than an electronic response.

I think Ebay should somehow screen (bank account verification, not just AN account) then Ebay should guarantee purchases (not just that PayPal protection). You want to see Ebay go after these guys and curb it? Make them responsible!

I feel that Ebay is SIMPLY in it to rake as much money as possible. Did anyone here ever get bad feedback? It's imposible to get them to remove this, let alone get serious about fraudulant dealers.