• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hmm Interesting. What do you think?

12 posts in this topic

Saw this right away. See if you can. Check out sellers other auctions. Looks like an older style of alteration that is probably coming back around. Research "california proof Morgan" sometime.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1881-S-MORGAN-DOLLAR-AMAZING-PQ-WHITE-BLAST-HIGH-BU-PL_W0QQitemZ230197235910QQihZ013QQcategoryZ39465QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Besides the fact that the listing is for an 1881-S and the photo is an 1880-S, there is no way that the coin in the picture would grade 64 with that hit on the cheek.

Chris

The frost/cameo appears to extend into the fields.

I didn't pay much attention at first, but after you wrote this I looked at some of the other coins that he is selling. Most of them look like the frost is spray painted on with a lot of overspray. A very sloppy job on some of those.

Okay, I reviewed the information about California Proof Morgans, and the last line explains how they have a chrome-like appearance after being whizzed with a high-speed drill. Yes, all of his Morgans don't just look blast white, they do have a chrome-like appearance. Is this what you mean?

Chris

Sorry was at home depot. Notice 90% of the coins have the same look but very little or no frost on the letters and outer devices. Some have obvious marks under the cameo. The cameo was added by either bondo, acid, or one of several other methods. Not too bad a job but most have some in the fields. Most of the time these coins are polished lightly with cameo added but these look to at worst been dipped in cyanide or ammonia prior to the cameo being added. I ran the largest coin shop in MI for 7 years and only 2-3% of BU morgans have the look of his coins naturally. The chances of finding that many at shows to resell on Ebay at the levels he is getting would be almost impossible. Raw stuff that looks that nice if it can be holdered is long gone in large groups and only occasionally available in onesy twoseys. Definitely altered and wont holder. California proofs were originally a real high end grouping of mint marked morgans that some dealers bought as branch mint proofs only to find out they had been mechanically and chemically altered. Later they were marketed as DMPL coins to the unwary. The original person who made these was somewhere in California, They were a common thing to find up until the mid 80's, but when most high end coins were put in tpg holders they died out. I see a few here and there but only rarely. If I had to hazzard a guess this guy is making them on his own as they dont have the quality of the stuff that used to come from Cali. I suspect I know who the seller is (someone from that general area that has been selling raw junk like this for years) and has at least 3 usernames on Ebay that sell and 1 shill bidding acct that I found in 10 minutes.

Darn, I hoped he had a California prooflike peace dollar. I've only seen a couple of them and I'd like one to go with my Morgan. I don't care a lot for peace dollars but a cameo one with mirror fields is really cool looking.