• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions wanted on a new "Venture--Pics

15 posts in this topic

I'm starting to branch "out" and get away a bit from the ultra modern coins I have (and still like) I have next to no knowledge of the "classic" stuff so I thought I'd try early proof sets/mint sets and Walkers to get me going. Also, any of the mid century coins on their own, not having to be in sets.

Just bought this one and I love it but wanted some of you more knowledgeable gurus to say what you think.

f20c_1_sbl.jpg

f44a_1_sbl.jpg

Any opinions on whether I should get them graded??

Bruce

Hi Bruce. There is no way to be able to grade Proof coins accurately from images. However, for those to be worth getting graded they would need to be of very high quality. Also, it looks as if the images have been manipulated to make the coins appear as if they have more cameo contrast than they really do. Are those your images or the seller's? Either way, how true-to-life are they?

He ASSURES me that they are true to life. I have also received some messages from others tha have bought from hm and they were all more than pleased.

Bruce

I hope you are pleased, though I would be surprised if the coins look like the images.

Just bought this one and I love it
No, at this point you only love the look of the images - there is often a big difference ;)

Maybe the picture experts can chime in but the 50c, 25c, 10c piece look to be flooded with way too much light and bit over exposed. The 5c and 1c seem to be a little more True Looking™.

I hope your happy with the coins in hand!

They look nice, but I would caution you to wait until they are in-hand before being sold on the possible depth of the cameo and clarity of the mirrors.

This is a nice looking set. I also hope they look like the images. To me it looks as though the pics were taken with a process that highlights the details and blackens the fields. This is common for taking pics of proofs but can also be a little mis-leading as to the amount of cameo actually on the coin. Not saying this is the case, just hoping it's not. Nice set though!!

I believe that I bought one item from that seller years ago and returned it because the mirrors and contrast on the coin looked nothing like his images. I also just took a look at images of some of his coins and am under the impression that he uses lighting and contrast adjustments which often make the coins look far more impressive than they really are. I'd love to be wrong.

I think he may have stumbled into a good find ...

If the lighting was as exteme as is thought here - it would not show the Field HAZE which is prevalent in the series and on these coins. If you accented the Fields and Contrast the haze would disappear into blackness.

I think if he is looking for clean fields - he will be disappointed - I think the coins cameo contrasts might be close if not slightly exaggerated.

Out of the five coins - I think the Nickel gets my NOD of appreciation ... Its a beauty.

What you paid for the set I think you got a good deal - HOWEVER - I would be a little concerned where the SELLER does send coins OUT for grading himself WHY he did not send these ... ( Maybe he did and they got rejected or BB's )

Just a few thoughts

Good luck

I think he may have stumbled into a good find and looks like coins from a BOXED set

If the lighting was as exteme as is thought here - it would not show the Field HAZE which is prevalent in the series and on these coins. If you accented the Fields and Contrast the haze would disappear into blackness.

I think if he is looking for clean fields - he will be disappointed - I think the coins cameo contrasts might be close if not slightly exaggerated.

Out of the five coins - I think the Nickel gets my NOD of appreciation ... Its a beauty!

Good luck

Check other items offered by the seller and tell us if you still feel the same way. In particular, look at some of the coins not designated Cameo or Deep/Ultra Cameo by the grading companies whose holders some of the coins reside in. In a number of cases, either the imaging/contrast has been adjusted quite a bit or the grading companies have tougher standards than is widely believed regarding what is required for a Cameo or Deep/Ultra Cameo. ;)

And here's an uncertified 1956 Proof Franklin. There are nice ones to be found, but I bet this one looks different in hand than in the images:

1fc7_0.JPG

20eb_0.JPG

I think he may have stumbled into a good find and looks like coins from a BOXED set

Out of the five coins - I think the Nickel gets my NOD of appreciation ... Its a beauty!

Good luck

Check other items offered by the seller and tell us if you still feel the same way. In particular, look at some of the coins not designated Cameo or Deep/Ultra Cameo by the grading companies whose holders some of the coins reside in. In a number of cases, either the imaging/contrast has been adjusted quite a bit or the grading companies have tougher standards than is widely believed regarding what is required for a Cameo or Deep/Ultra Cameo. ;)

And here's an uncertified 1956 Proof Franklin. There are nice ones to be found, but I bet this one looks different in hand than in the images:

I am not saying They are NOT doctored on the contrary - WHEN ALL PICTURES LOOK THE SAME ... they are doctored

(see link of sellers items and scroll to the bottom)

Sellers other stuff

I am MORE concerned on wether these got boddy bagged for some reason.

Good luck

I am not saying They are NOT doctored on the contrary - WHEN ALL PICTURES LOOK THE SAME ... they are doctored

(see link of sellers items and scroll to the bottom)

Sellers other stuff

I am MORE concerned on wether these got boddy bagged for some reason.

Sorry, I saw nothing in your previous post that indicated you were concerned that the coins might get body-bagged. Those aren't the type of coins which typically get body-bagged and the main reason to sell them as is could be because they aren't worth the cost of certification.

[Mark]"Sorry, I saw nothing in your previous post that indicated you were concerned that the coins might get body-bagged. Those aren't the type of coins which typically get body-bagged and the main reason to sell them as is could be because they aren't worth the cost of certification."

Read the post again :)

After reading his auction description again, teadious in of itself, these coins are not even from the same Proof set - They were 'selectively' picked to create this group of coins which raise a 'higher' red flag, for me anyway ...

I have enough body bagged proof coins for my multi holders sets to know that they do quite often BB for supposed 'hairlines', even fresh from Mint Capsules :(

so this is a very distinct possiblilty ..

As for worth it ... It can ... My 1954 5c PF69 and My 1960 50c PF68* says

otherwise. They are tough to come by though .. depends on what you are into obviously ...