• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Awesome 1888 Indian Head cent (NGC PR-65 BN) with remarkable color fragment

10 posts in this topic

Please excuse multiple posts, but I wanted to keep U.S. separated from the darkside coins.

I'm selling this for a customer.

$950: 1888 Indian Cent, NGC PR-65 BN

Shipping is included in the price. I make $50 if it sells.

Accurate images for an AWESOME proof coin!

Thanks for looking.

c1888jm.jpg

That IHC gives new meaning to "rainbow warrior" lol That is a very interesting toning spot and a gorgeous color to boot (worship)

In response to a couple of questions, this coin is in older NGC fatty holder, so you know the color is stable. The serial number on the holder is 231555-013.

Thanks for the nice comments and questions!

Neat coin!

Is that a tic/mark on the reverse, just left of the ONE? Not that it would distract from the grade if it is (after all, this is a PR65, not a PR67...), but if so, slightly unusual on a proof Indian as it is usually hairlines and not marks such as this one that limits the grade.

Neat coin!

Is that a tic/mark on the reverse, just left of the ONE? Not that it would distract from the grade if it is (after all, this is a PR65, not a PR67...), but if so, slightly unusual on a proof Indian as it is usually hairlines and not marks such as this one that limits the grade.

Yes, that is a hit on the reverse. I am sure it is what limits the grade. Both sides are pristine and hairline free (to the extent that I can tell). In my limited experience, the coin's grade seems to achieve a perfect balance between technical and aesthetic attributes.

James, I have seen coins tone with spots like this (though not on coins this nice) when the coin was stored for years in a 2x2 that had a hole in the mylar. Do you think something like that caused the spot or was it some contamination or something even more sinister?

Randy, I suspect that you have struck very near the truth. I don't see any real reason to doubt the integrity of the color fragment on this piece.

By the way, the coin really is that golden-brown color as portrayed in the images. The 1888 issue is known to tone that way as a result of being struck on planchets recovered and reprocessed from earlier dates.