• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Having trouble finding $2 bills, & rolls of halves & dollar coins

10 posts in this topic

For a number of different reasons, I'd like to track down about $100 total worth of half dollar rolls, dollar coins, & $2 bills. No, I don't want old or expensive ones - just the ones I thought would be available at every bank, just like $1 bills are.

I'm having a heck of a time doing so, however. I wanted to include them with Christmas presents, and also use some of them to make change at a couple of events.

My credit union, where I do all of my financial dealings, says flat out that they can't get these for me, and that I'll have to go to a bank.

Therefore, I've called several banks, and I get the same story - they might have a few halves laying around, but no rolls. None of them had $2 bills, and only one had a couple of the dollar coins.

What does a person have to do these days in order to track down rolls of the lesser used coins, and $2 bills? I don't exactly want to drive all around the city chasing these elusive things.

Anyone have any ideas? For instance, is there one nationwide bank that has a policy of keeping these things readily available for people?

I don't know if banks can actually request a certain number of these, like I'm sure they probably can with $5 bills, $10 bills, etc. I suppose if I knew more about that, I could leave a request with the local bank manager and skip driving all over creation, if it is possible to do that. Anyway, I'd really appreciate it if anyone has some ideas that might help me out. I had no idea it had gotten this difficult to track these things down!

I don't know how credit unions operate, but banks get their money from a head/regional/whatever office, which gets it from the Federal Reserve, though I think some banks do go directly to the FR. My local bank stocks both $2 bills and $1 coins, though at times I have had to request they order the coins for me. A bank I used to go to before I moved (same company, different branch) ordered a box of half dollars for me (50 rolls, $500) when I requested it.

In other words, my understanding is that if a bank says they "can't" get them for you, they're just being lazy. Ask to speak with the vault teller since they're the one who actually does the ordering (at least at US Bank where I go).

However, if you don't have an account with them, then they will most likely be disinclined to acquiesce to your request, sometimes even if they have them there on the premises.

I received a two dollar bill from my bank the other day and didn't even realize it till later. I will check to see if they have more. How many do you need.

Rey

I don't know if banks can actually request a certain number of these, like I'm sure they probably can with $5 bills, $10 bills, etc.

Yes they can, but they normally don't. Here's why:

A bank normally has a pretty good idea how much cash they need to have on hand for any given day, and they have a pretty good handle on how much of that cash needs to be in ones, fives, tens twenties etc and how much needs to be in coin and which types.

They know that there will normally be very little or no call for halves, dollar coins and twos so they don't stock any. Now they could keep a stock on hand just in case someone does ask for some, but any cash that is not being turned over regularly is a dead asset that could be put to better use working for the bank and earning an income. A bank is a business and they are in business to make money. So they don't stock anything that they don't get regular requests for.

In other words, my understanding is that if a bank says they "can't" get them for you, they're just being lazy.

Actually it isn't a matter of being lazy, its that people get less upset if you tell them you can't get them than if you say you won't get them. Once again it is a matter of money. You will rarely hear the excuse "Can't" for ordering twos. It is just a matter of filling out the request on the order form and they will get them with their regular shipment at no extra charge, but if they have a minimum amount they ave to order you should take all of it (They don't usually have minimums) because once again they don't want them sitting around as a dead asset.

The coins are more of a problem though. Those normally have to be ordered by the box ($500 or $1000 worth) and since coins are heavy the bank is charged a shipping fee over and above the face value of the coins to either have them shipped in or shipped back out. If they honor your request and order a box of coins for you and give them to you at face value, not only does the bank make nothing on the deal, but they actually lose money because of the shipping fee. And if the coins come back to them they lose more money as they sit around as a dead asset until they have enough they can ship them back out. Once again losing the shipping fee. Rather than run that risk they say they "Can't" order them.

Now if you have a good relationship with your bank and come in regularly, and agree to absorb the shipping fees, and agree to take any that come back in to them off their hand whenever you come in, Then you may find them agreeable to ordering them for you.

As astrostu said talk to the vault teller and see if you can make some kind of deal where the bank is not at risk and you can probably get what you are after.

Every so often, I ask local banks for 5 rolls of halves to search. If I make the request in the morning, they have them available by the next business day. Otherwise it takes two business days. I do this at commercial banks I do not have a banking relationship with (my wife does, but not me). It's a great way to find nice collectibles--including a half-dozed Walkers I found over the summer.

I have never asked for $2 notes. Once I asked for the new $10 notes when they first released. The bank was able to order two packs for me. I will probably do the same for the $5 notes when they are released. So I don't see why they would have problems ordering $2 notes.

That's just my experience, but I am in the DC metro area.

Scott :hi: