• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In 20 Years, What Will Matter Less Than it does Now?

22 posts in this topic

With respect to grading and evaluating coins, which factor will drop the most in importance over the next 20 years or so? Will toning cease to be such a big deal? Will cleaning be less a kiss of death than it is now? Will strike be less important because it isn't the fault of wear or damage? Something else?

Ask me in 20 years. The key dates of today will still be the key dates only more so. Beyond that it's anybody's guess.

In 20 years coins may be a thing of the past and collecting just something a diminishing number of eccentric old fat guys do to pass the time.

My Magic 8 Ball came up with "Reply hazy, try again."

I tried again and it said, "Concentrate and ask again."

So I concentrated real hard and it told me, "Better not tell you now."

I gave up!! lol lol lol

Scott :hi:

You can call me nuts. But I think authenticity will matter less. I think counterfeiters will get so good that fake coins will routinely get certified.

I know, sounds crazy, doesn't it?

The CAC sticker??? :baiting:

Sorry Mark and TDN...I just couldn't resist lol lol lol

Actually I hope that toning popularity fades because then I wouldn't have to break the bank to get them....

I would say in 20 years Moderns won't matter......maybe that's becuase they won't be moderns then :screwy:

You can call me nuts. But I think authenticity will matter less. I think counterfeiters will get so good that fake coins will routinely get certified.

I know, sounds crazy, doesn't it?

Do you really think that someone will make a fake good enuf to be graded and not get caught? It would seem to me that the only way to do a coin that good would be to duplicate the manufacturing process completely. Press, planchets... and the die variations would show them to be different, yes?

I do see a whole lot of people who are currently buying MS69 and MS70 modern issues getting crushed! Even an MS70 with 73,000,000 minted is not rare.

I think moderns selling at high $ will go away in 20 years.

The grades on the grading labels.

Hi Mark, I was wondering if you could explain further your comment, I am interested.

Thanks,

Rey

I do see a whole lot of people who are currently buying MS69 and MS70 modern issues getting crushed! Even an MS70 with 73,000,000 minted is not rare.

I think moderns selling at high $ will go away in 20 years.

There are NO modern pennies, NO nickels, NO dimes, and NO quarters with mintages this low. This leaves only Ikes and Kennedys. There are NO Ike or Kennedys in MS-70. There are NONE in MS-69, and I believe there are NONE in MS-68. Some don't exist in MS-67.

It should be easy to avoid getting crushed on these.

That's quite a statement -- which I think I agree with. Would you please explain your logic?

My first thought was that originality will matter less (but may well cost even more). So many coins are getting dipped and stripped that collectors will soon find that they can't find the original coins that they want. In order to keep collecting we will have to settle for what we can find.

That's quite a statement -- which I think I agree with. Would you please explain your logic?

I think the trend is and will continue to be in the direction of coins selling (or not) sellling themselves. Yes, a number of buyers buy the grading company/holder/label, etc.. However, I believe that over time it has become more apparent to more collectors that grading is subjective and inconsistent and that a coin of a given grade can be "worth" far more or less than another of the same grade.

I haven't done an analysis, but would guess that during the past decade there have been far more coins with listed price spreads which have narrowed between grades, as compared to those which have expanded. And with populations of especially high grade ("top pop") coins inevitably increasing, rather than decreasing over time, I believe that some of the (pun intended) luster will come off of them, in particular.

Many collectors and dealers have been spoiled by the strength of many market segments during the past several years. When market conditions become less sanguine (and, contrary to what some people believe, that WILL happen eventually), many collectors who choose or are forced to sell will be shocked at how poorly they have fared. At the same time, coins will have to stand more on their own merits, rather than merely the fact that they have been graded by a highly respected TPG.

With respect to grading and evaluating coins, which factor will drop the most in importance over the next 20 years or so?

slabbed ms/pr 70 grades as all will non platinum have turned/toned in their respective holders...hence not from the dies so not 70 anymore. and/or there will be no premium for the holder and grade

slabbed ms/pr 70 grades non circulating legal tender precious metal coins no premium for the holder and grade

full bands mercury dimes full bell line franklins full torch rosies full step jefferson nicks funny hair kennedy halves