• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is 63 a dangerous grade?

37 posts in this topic

wow i just thought of this

i consider myself to be ms 63 :cloud9:

but the real question is would you take me home with you hm

the question is....have you seen circulation?

I would describe Michael as mint state, but slightly impared. lol

Now that you mention it, he is kind of a 63 after all. ;)

but the real question is would you take me home with you hm

If you were a woman worth $100 million?............................Maybe!

Chris

Are you kidding? Heck, if you were a MAN worth $100 million I would at least consider it. lol

MS63 DMPL Morgans are scary, IMO. There is no point is buying them (or anything below MS64 DMPL)---too many hits. For many series, MS63 is the first uncirculated grade for coins with real eye appeal. So, I do believe there is the opportunity for monkey business (aka gradeflation and market grading of technically AU coins).

With grade-flation, MS-63 and even PR-63 have become dangerous grades. Time was you would often see an AU in an MS-61 or 62 holder. Once you got to MS-63, most everything was Mint State although you could certainly question how choice it was. Now the "sliders" have become to crop in in MS-63 holders, and the problem Proof coins are now seen in PR-63 and even PR-64 holders.

Your 63 post has had me doing a mental inventory of my buff collection all day, as I have a number of 63s. For the most part these are nice coins IMO, and am not about to race out and try to upgrade, but will readily concede there are attributes that I understand that kept them from higher grades. I have one eye-popper that came from an OGH that is old school 63 at a minimum and would probably grade differently today. But I know that wasn’t your point. I have another eye-popper from a new PCGS 63 holder that I always suspected may have had some rub, although every time I look at it I convince myself it isn’t rub but rather how the coin toned. Maybe it is the ownership thing that adds a point or two and others would come to a different opinion. I understand what you are getting at - coins like those are the ones you need to watch out for. I’d still be inclined to say that 62 is the gotcha grade. Conceptually I can see 63s the same way. It is clear that market grading does occur. Whether 63S are market graded ‘a lot’, ‘most’, or ‘more often than other grades’ or even ‘more often than in other grades but the graders usually get it right’ I’m not in a position to quantify.

my thoughts too are that as you grow closer (downwards) towards MS (true MS) 61, you're going to have a buildup of a lot of little things that take it away from 65 for example, so 63, or 62/63 is probably the zone where there's a lot of stuff going on that could make people question...all depending on what that 'stuff' is.

edited to add:

just my thoughts:

firstly, I'm really only familiar with capped bust halves, so I really don't know much about other coins, even though I collect them.

but I have quite a few au58 busties that never saw circulation and i've seen quite a few 63's that i felt, did see circulation, so it all depends. for busties at least, the zone between 55-63 can be a blurry one with a lot of mixup in between. you know, a true 58 may be arguably a 55, and a 55, arguably a 58, while true mint states, due to rub of cabinet friction, even if very very slight, and bring a true 63 to a 58, even a 64 to a 58. Nevermind the strike issues, not infrequently misinterpreted by tpgs, altering the true grade.