• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: YOUR VIEW ON "FROM CHANGE" COLLECTORS?

How do you feel about people who only collect coins from pocket change?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about people who only collect coins from pocket change?

19 posts in this topic

I think the preponderance of derogatory poll options towards this way of collecting is a bit insulting here. I chose the "whatever floats their boat ..." option because that's how collecting should be. You should be able to do it however you want and not be subject to what other people think is the "right" or "wrong" way to do it.

I agree.

As a "from change" collector I believe in letting people decide for themselves.

Having said that understand the responses listed are comments I have read on various coin boards, said to my face or overheard being made to other collectors. Who said them and where is not important. I figure opinions are like posteriors - most everybody has one.

When directed at me I just smile and continue to check my change.

I think the preponderance of derogatory poll options towards this way of collecting is a bit insulting here. I chose the "whatever floats their boat ..." option because that's how collecting should be. You should be able to do it however you want and not be subject to what other people think is the "right" or "wrong" way to do it.

Well said. A couple of years ago I got a Shield nickel in change at a local coffee shop. A week or so ago I got a 1956 wheatie in change. Last year I got a very nice silver Canadian Edward VII dime in change. This is in San Francisco. I still have the wheatie. I sold the Shield nickel and the Edward VII dime to a friend in work who collects coins for a dolar. i figure I made about 600+ % profit.

Here is what I went with

What ever floats their boat - coin collecting is big enough to include as many ideas and views on what to collect as there are collectors

I still collect from change. (shrug)

Good for you! (thumbs u

So do I. In fact I now only collect from change (with an occasional trade or giveaway win thrown in).

To me it is collecting at its simplest and its best.

:)

I'm trying to do 1909-1992 lincolns from circulation. I have all but 4 memorials, and a smattering of wheat cents. I grab all of the copper cents I can find as well.

We should count our lucky stars to have the financial resources to spend more than face value for any one coin.

Chris

a circulated Jefferson Album is still a lot of fun..you can find pretty much any date out there because the older dates don't have that "silver clang" sound that sets them apart when you get them in change...I have over 60 different dates/mints-- all from change of this series..even half the war nickels (some are pretty ugly though)

"We should count our lucky stars to have the financial resources to spend more than face value for any one coin.

Chris"

I could not agree more... With the amount of people out there that don't even have money for necessities, it is a luxury for all of us to be able to spend more than face value on a coin.

I picked the "Whatever floats their boat" option.

While I do buy alot of coins from my local coin shop, I also have a set of set of cheap Whitman albums for non silver moderns that is strickly for coins out of my pocket change. I started this about a year ago and my memorial lincolns, dimes and quarters are almost complete.

I also chose "whatever floats their boat" even though I personally have never understood doing so. Even as a kid the idea of collecting the same stuff I saw every day just didn't make sense to me. That was simply the stuff I accumulated through odd jobs in order to acquire "rare" coins.

Different strokes though.

I think we all look at our change...just in case.

Last year a bank teller dropped a 1963 Washington Q into my hand. I still have the worn out bugger. One of my favs, really

Jackson[a circulated Jefferson Album is still a lot of fun..]

I would agree. Since 1938 to 2009 (69 years) is a lot of nickels to go through and the composition hasn't changed except for the war years. Then if you find one of these puppies you really have more than the face value. Besides the nickel really isn't a nickel but a copper (more copper than nickel). Yes?

For beginning kids rounding up nickels at face value is not that difficult and is affordable. All needed is an album and away you go. :banana:

About 16 years ago someone gave me a Mercury dime with a hole in it when they were paying for their newspaper delivery... I'm still collecting.

A coin from the eighteen hundreds in really great condition tells me that the coin has been holed away somewhere for a hundred and some odd years. A lincoln memorial cent (I did say memorial) from '59 or '60 that I get in change was in someone's pocket before civil rights, before we went to the moon, before my father met my mother... that speaks to me.

Brad

Not only do I collect from change (1939-S dime a couple months ago) but I put coins back into circulation every now and then. Stuff like buffalo nickels with no dates, indian cents with rim damage, stuff like that I pick up at yard sales or in auction lots. I found a really worn down 2c piece and spent that at Walmart (had fun forcing them to take the coin - they said "I'm sorry we don't take foreign money" lol

Backbone. My roots. Unfortunately not as exciting as it was in the late 60s