• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Brown" coppers ae underrated

47 posts in this topic

I know that all of the pricelists have the coin values of copper coinage as RED-most valuable, RB-middle and Brown as less valuable. I have found that I personally like the "brown" coins better. The reason I use quotes is because many of the "brown" labeled pieces are exceptionally toned blues, purples and fiery oranges....what are your preferences/opinions and...show us some of those gorgeous "brown" and RB coins.....here's one of mine that I wouldn't trade for a pristine red example

48267-MVC-528S.jpg.ea9578001aa934e5acfea8983da062e6.jpg

48268-MVC-526S.jpg.5e5f77ac5274279772fecac2abb9f924.jpg

BN just looks natural for copper. It shows that the coin has been around a while, it's got character, it's not a fresh-mint example. I prefer my coppers brown as well.

wow...exactly what I'm talking about. Great 1910 leeg and absolutely stunning 1916 matte proof robec.. (worship) (worship) to both of your lincolns

nothing wrong with browns. they are very attractive. and the reds? well they do demand more money, usually, but the browns............................were once REDS!!! and in time the reds will end up BROWN!!! :popcorn:

These are beautiful examples of spectacular browns. There's nothing that would keep me from purchasing one of these over a red. Often though, especially in the IHCs that I like to collect, the browns are just that, flat and brown. In those case, I prefer reds. I wish I could find a few IHC like these!

nice lusterous mintstate original light brown coins with hard surfaces are truly underrated

same with original light brown coins with hard surfaces that are circulated

and with brown coins there is no red brown or red to change into brown which they will eventually do.........................

I like a nice chocolate brown coin - the truth is, I am scared of spending a premium for red copper only to have it turn brown on me. The appearance of brown is mellow and pleasing. That being said, I am not going to rule out a nice flashy red cent either. Just like I am not going to say "the crustier the better" I am not going to say "Crown the brown." There are cases where each is nice, and vice versa.

In the past I’ve called red copper an overrated and over priced pleasure. This is especially true as the coin gets older and older. Many so-called red large cents have a dull orange color that I don’t find attractive at all. Also a lot these coins have been dipped to give them a temporary red, which lasts about as long as it takes for the dealer to sell the coin.

Red copper is carries a double risk. If the red color is the result of dip, the chances are very high that the coin will re-tone, sometimes to a very unappealing color, like pink. If the red color is natural, which is the case less than half the time IMO, the coin is more stable, but there is always the lurking that the coin will start to tone or worse yet grow ugly spots. Black and green spots are the worst.

I agree, the browns are underrated, and on top of that, so much nicer, in many ways that full red...especially with the older coins. Half the 'reds' labeled by pcgs are rb anyway, or will eventually turn, if they haven't already.