• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Measurement Abbreviation of "H"

8 posts in this topic

Anyone know what measurement CNG is referring to when they use "h"? I've got the mm & g parts, but not the h.

784107.jpg

Sextus Pompey. 42-40 BC. AR Denarius (18mm, 3.94 g, 11h). Uncertain Sicilian mint, possibly Catana. MAG. PIVS IMP. ITER, bare head of Pompey the Great right; jug behind; lituus before / PRÆF. above, CLAS. ET. ORÆ./[MAR]IT. EX. S. C. in two lines in exergue, Neptune standing left, holding aplustre in right hand, resting right foot on prow, between the brothers Anapias and Amphinomus, carrying their parents on their shoulders. Crawford 511/3a; CRI 334; Sydenham 1344; Kestner 3783-3784; BMCRR Sicily 7; RSC 17 (Pompey the Great). EF, toned. Struck on a magnificent, oversize flan. $7500

Is it specific gravity?

Edited to add: I suspect it is due to the value. Here's something from the internet... "Pure silver has a specific gravity of 10.5 gr/cm^3. However, like gold, silver is rarely found in the pure form. Expect a range of values from 10 to 12, depending on the amount and type of impurity."

Well, I'm bored (week 5 of 12 on the boat) and have some time on my hands while we wait for the weather to clear,so here goes. Looking around the web, the designations run from h1 to h12. Here's a good site that uses the designation :

http://gordianiiirpc.ancients.info/avg63_116.html

They refer to die axis. I'm 'u'me' ing it's on the standard 1-12 o'clock positions.

Hope that helps some

Of course! An "h" is the standard abbreviation for hour, but I couldn't figure out how it would possibly make sense in the context of the description quoted by Greg. Good work!