• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Name an under-rated SERIES that you may end up collecting

23 posts in this topic

Name an under-rated SERIES ...........................

seated dollars

colonial coinage

capped bust right with stars quarter eagles

colonial continental and state currency especially so with great vignettes

sheets of obsolete currency

classic head quarter eagles

3-cent nickels..the prices are pretty low considering the unbelievably low mintages ....the 1916-D Mercury would be one of the more common dates of this series..

For me, the most underrated series that I actually might begin collecting is a short-set of Walkers, except I would collect them from 1939 - 1947, rather than the more traditional 1941 - 1947. It's a doable series, the coins can be matched up properly, and in looking through some of the "stuff" I've been putting aside for a few years, I discovered that I have several really beautiful high-grade ultra-original coins with which to get started.

Bruce,

That's interesting-I've been reading about 8 Reale Pesos(value vs. age) and for the money-quite historic and silver. I have also been getting into 2 Cent pieces as well as Shields.

Bruce,

That's interesting-I've been reading about 8 Reale Pesos(value vs. age) and for the money-quite historic and silver. I have also been getting into 2 Cent pieces as well as Shields.

Here is a coin I picked up in Mexico last summer. 1884 Zs 8 Reales. Coin is UNC and cost less than a Morgan. Oh did I mention the coin is toned and has neat die cracks? Late Die State to boot. Cool!

1884zs.jpg

Bruce,

Here is a coin I picked up in Mexico last summer. 1884 Zs 8 Reales. Coin is UNC and cost less than a Morgan. Oh did I mention the coin is toned and has neat die cracks? Late Die State to boot. Cool!

1884zs.jpg

I just bought one of these yesterday, an beautifully toned gem 1905 coin, from a dealer in Tuscon. The classic Mexican "cap and rays' design does have a connection to U.S. coinage---it was used by Gobrecht on a gold dollar pattern (J-67, I think).

If by underrated you mean from a financial standpoint, then any short list would include only world coins because that is where the financial bargains are. If it is not from a financial standpoint, then it is a matter of personal preference.

The best analogy I can make is by making a comparison to the stock market. The US coin market and a few world coin markets are "developed" while others are "emerging" but in this case most of them are "comatose" so someone would need to pick carefully.

From the world coin markets, I am most positive on British colonial and Latin America and I happen to collect some of these issues though.not just for their financial prospects but because I like them most I do not collect them but probably a country like China has a good future also. This opinion applies to selective issues and not all of them.

In countries such as these, the prices are much cheaper than for US coins, the supply is frequently much lower and the demand is growing faster. High quality key and rare US coins will always be the most expensive or among the most expensive, but given what they cost today, their future financial prospects are most likely not as promising.

This is one question I keep asking myself over and over both for what I possess and/or what I would like to have. Unfortunately I have not determined either. This post is providing some insight, so much appreciated folks.

Rey