• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AT or NT?

19 posts in this topic

I've purchased a couple of colorful ancients from them in the past year. I've been finding the colors in their pictures to be brighter and more vivid than on the actual coin. Of the two most colorful ones - with this blue color - that I've purchased recently, one I feel is unquestionable NT and the other is a toss-up. If it were a US coin, I'd be much more inclined to say AT, but it just doesn't convince me that it is AT.

I do not believe that the color on most of these coins would have any impact on their selling price, so I'm not sure I'd call them AT as there is very little incentive to work them. Many look like I'd expect "cabinet toned" ancient coins to look like.

Some look OK, some questionable. However, given the difference I've seen firsthand between the pictures and the coins, I'd like to see the coins in person before making any final decision.

I do find it odd how the blue clings to the inner part of the devices on so many of the coins. However, I also notice that it is usually on higher grade examples, possibly meaning that it was a single collection that was stored in a similar manner.

BTW, two of the coins you posted are on my potential bid list. :)

They are some beautiful coins w/o doubt. I don't know for sure if they are AT or not, but I say there is a very good chance of it. I've collected ancients for 25 years, and those colors didn't exist 25 years ago.

I'm not any authority on ancients but I would guess AT. From the ancients I have seen in catalogs, 99% have no colors...and those that have color are usually VERY dark ( a thousand years of oxidation would not be "light blue or rose) the only other explanation would be that they were cleaned in the last 40-50 years and have retoned a bit (maybe due to the cleaning product )

It seems suspicious that NONE of the devices have any color, and all of the toning seems to be a "background" around the primary device..what I mean is that they are toning in the reverse direction, it's usually rim>

Having said that, some of the pieces are still nice with strong devices..I wouldn't mind owning a few if the price was right..