• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My First Barber Quarter.....thoughts...opinions.....?

28 posts in this topic

In my quest for old NGC holders I keep coming across more and more type material that I just can't resist. I can't stand blast white Barber coins so when I saw this one I knew that It would fit in more with my tastes.....but I didn't know it would be this colorful until I got it in hand (thumbs u

So...what are your thoughts......any way to tell if this coin has a shot at an upgrade? (shrug)

Post Em if you got Em.................... :applause:

1894Obv2.jpg

1894Rev.jpg

1894Obv.jpg

1894Rev2.jpg

Very nice looking Barber there Shane. I like the color. It looks like a few nics on the next and cheek kept it from getting any higher than 63, but still is nice looking!!

I do like the quarter I tell ya. It looks awful close to a PL. She's a beaut. I have a proof that looks fairly close to that one. I'd say that it would probably upgrade, but mine is a 63 as well.

1911PF63obv1225-2.jpg

1911PF63rev1226-2.jpg

Very few series tone as nice as the Barber quarters. Very nice. (worship)

I agree...my quarters are alot nicer than my halves.

My Dimes make the quarters look tame.

Without the 1894 quarter in hand its hard to tell why its only a 63.

Love that look too.

The images are small and the coin appears to have issues with the cheek and neck, but it has better eye appeal than a typical MS63.

Tough Crowd Tom lol I thought the pictures where quite large but as the old saying goes...."Go big or go home" :banana:

1894Obv4.jpg

1894Rev3.jpg

For what it's worth....it took me a lot of magnification to see anything significant on the check or the neck so I think the toning is playing some tricks. I found 1 small tick on the cheek and their is a tick on the neck by the one in the date. The fields are super clean.....no significant marks visable. The reverse....well the image speaks for itself......it's got to be pretty high grade cause I don't really see any marks :cloud9:

So please feel free to re-evalute the coin with the larger pictures but remember.......larger pictures make tiny marks look like volkswagons :o

I've been posting to the new aquisitions thread, but I'll be more than happy to post

a few Barbers here too.

Here's one of the prettiest quarters in my set:

48151-1902PquarterPCGSms63.jpg.3a1e19d3ae3720a6be6bd8c6d3661e98.jpg

48152-1902PquarterPCGSms63rev.jpg.97b8bbecdfb0d1e3d155a22e7ec54eaa.jpg

Quite frankly, that last 1902 you posted Elbasaar is the only coin in the whole thread that I like. Not to hurt anyone's feelings, but in my opinion the rest of them are either mediocre or downright ugly.

I've been posting to the new aquisitions thread, but I'll be more than happy to post

a few Barbers here too.

Here's one of the prettiest quarters in my set:

Now don't come in here and steal my thunder with that magnificent piece (worship) (worship) (worship)

(thumbs u

from the photo OF THE ORIGINAL POSTERS COIN 1894 MS 63 IN THE FAT BOI HOLDER and i would need to see it in hand sight seen for a true opinion

but just from the photos..................

dipped and not properly rinsed then sat in an envelope

for many years and retoned

both sides are a technical high end ms 63

with average eye appeal......

Michael,

Are you referring to my 1902 quarter ? Its just as nice - nicer really - in hand than in the images. I bought it from Mike Printz of Larry Whitlow a couple of months ago.

I'm no coin doctor - and I wouldn't know how to play around getting the perfect effect

that ended up on this coin.

It looks like album toning - more than likely from an old Waite Raymond album. One thing you're correct about it was sitting around for years getting that toning to develop. It it had been in an envelope, the toning would have been closer to the NGC coin that was posted.

Here's my newest dime, already posted to the New Aquisitions Thread:

48163-1895sDimePCGS58_small.jpg.18b9db69feedefd398484156bfe10c1c.jpg

Quite frankly, that last 1902 you posted Elbasaar is the only coin in the whole thread that I like. Not to hurt anyone's feelings, but in my opinion the rest of them are either mediocre or downright ugly.

Thank you for the compliment about my 1902 quarter.

The Barber series is my favorite - as if I need to tell anyone this - and

as I collect only(*) high end AU's to mid range MS's, all of my coins have

eye appeal. Maybe not everyone likes the Barber series - "who's

the 'Guy' on the obverse" is the usual quote I hear.

(*)My recent foray into mid range circulated halves in F15-AU53 is just

an offshoot of my main collecting focus.

My collecting interests are fairly wide and diverse otherwise

I would not have gotten this banner from NGC just for collecting Barbers:

48164-sigNGC2.jpg.d1666dcd1e98710be1896da190f7eb02.jpg

Elbesaar, I cannot possibly speak for Michael, but I believe his description was in reference to Shane's new MS63 quarter. Michael's analysis is very close to what my true thoughts are on the coin, but he was far more blunt than I was in his response.

Thank you for the compliment about my 1902 quarter.

The Barber series is my favorite - as if I need to tell anyone this - and

as I collect only(*) high end AU's to mid range MS's, all of my coins have

eye appeal. Maybe not everyone likes the Barber series - "who's

the 'Guy' on the obverse" is the usual quote I hear.

(*)My recent foray into mid range circulated halves in F15-AU53 is just

an offshoot of my main collecting focus.

My collecting interests are fairly wide and diverse otherwise

I would not have gotten this banner from NGC just for collecting Barbers:

Do you realize how many people there are on these boards whom I have asked to leave me in their will? That 1902 is nice, nice, nice!

Chris

Shane, nice looking pickup! (thumbs u It sure seems to me that you are back collecting with a vengeance. :applause:

To the other Barber posters, those are some nice lookers!

Just too sweet Lee....

Sy....yes I have been on a tear and now my budget is blown doh! so I have to slow down. At least I have some coins to look at and image in the mean time (thumbs u