• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Body Bags

9 posts in this topic

Why are some coins rejected completely by the major TPGs? I understand that cleaning or scratching makes a coin un-collectible for some people, but why is that decision made on behalf of all collectors? What if I happen not to mind cleaned coins?

It seems to me that the only baseline for putting a coin in a slab ought to be authenticity. Beyond that, just identify everything the grader notices about the coin. MS-63, Cleaned and Scratches. What's wrong with that, especially since you're getting charged just as much for a body bag as you are a slabbed coin?

The goal of certification is to turn coins into commodities. That means they must be "cookie cutter" coins, which is to say "one size fits all". Thus, a VF-20 coin needs to be a VF-20 coin, not a "VF-20, scratched, cleaned" coin. In other words, when caveats are introduced into the grade, then the pricing is variable, and you no longer have a commodity.

Also, once TPG's start grading these such coins as scratched, cleaned, then it may cause another burden on them as to trying to determine numismedia values for them. That would be a job in itself.

I also wanted to add, then once graded, these coins would also have to be allowed into the registries. This would require another whole different set of point scales to accomodate for damaged or cleaned coins.