• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adams' headache

10 posts in this topic

photo:

IMG_2210.jpg

scan:

image.jpg

Whats up with this, its awfully deep to be normal handling. Especially considering its in a uncirculated set?

Is this a "mint" error or just handling error?

Loks like some kind of strike through to me. It is recessed (The light reflections show that.) and I see no evidence of any lateral movement so It is almost certainly not a scratch. A direct impact is a possibility but not likely since it seems to affect the high relief and the field equally and there is no discontinuity at the transition from the field to the devices. If something hit the coin after striking with no discontinuity I would expect the depression in the head to be deeper than in the field. If the gash was in the planchet before striking the dies would have flattened it in the field.

Keleum, remember that is what my impression is from seeing the images. If I saw it in hand I may be of a different opinion. But at least you understand from my comments why I called it as I did.