• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Numismatic premium for common date saints and libertys ($20 libs)

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I was wondering if saint gaudens gold pieces have any numismatic value. I do not think they are bullion, but I was reading a book and it said some are so common they could almost be considered bullion. So my question is, do these coins have numismatic premium? If so, how much? And, what about for $20 libertys? Let's just pick 2 common date coins for each of these coins, say, an 1908 no motto saint, and a 1904 $20 liberty.

I found this ebay auction that is ending soon. http://cgi.ebay.com/1908-20Gold-SAINT-GAUDENS-NoMotto-MS64-NGC_W0QQitemZ260181593433QQihZ016QQcategoryZ39472QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem The current price for it is $898 with $14 shipping (The shipping seems pretty high huh?) Today gold is at 785.70 melt value so it seems to definitley have a little premium.

I also have a NGC MS64 no motto saint gaudens double eagle 1908.

I bet that with a little bit of research, you can answer your own questions. ;)

Probably. My opinion on it so far is that I'm pretty sure it has numismatic premium. But I dont know how much. I'd love to hear your opinion on it though, mark.

The linked auction is to an MS-64. There will be a premium on any Saint in MS-64. There will even be a slight premium on a 1924 in MS-60.

The common date libs will have somewhat less of a premium than the common Saints for the same grade up to 63.

Neither will sell for much over bullion prices in circulated grades.

I bet that with a little bit of research, you can answer your own questions. ;)

Probably. My opinion on it so far is that I'm pretty sure it has numismatic premium. But I dont know how much. I'd love to hear your opinion on it though, mark.

Kevin, you will not get my opinion on it because I think you're perfectly capable of finding out yourself, without having to go to a lot of trouble to do so. I'm not trying to be mean - just hoping you will take it upon yourself instead of being lazy or whatever it is that would cause you to ask, rather than do the work.

Common date Saints can have sizable premiums in MS-64 and above, common date Libs can have sizable premiums at MS-63 and above. Below those grades the premiums are generally small (though with gold close to $800, the dollar premium may seem large).

stinkycheese: the premiums do change from week to week vis a vis the bullion price.

I understand what Mark Feld is trying to do.

If you are given the information without learning how to determine for yourself what the current premiums are then when another month rolls along then you will be working with "stale" information and possibly make a terrible purchase or sale decision.

You need to come up with a "methodology" of obtaining this information on a weekly basis.

Examples:

(1)buy prices from well known national Saint/bullion dealers on the internet or print media.

(2)sell prices from well known national Saint/bullion dealers on the internet or print media.

(3)accessing Heritage auction archives to see latest auction prices which may not be current enough,

and so forth

Good luck!

The current price for it is $898 with $14 shipping (The shipping seems pretty high huh?)

Not really. Have you shipping anything via registered mail recently? You can pretty will figure on $12 for the mailling and insurance. Then you add the cost of a shipping box because the post office won't let you ship coins in envelops any more plus the trip to post office, and you are up to $14 in expenses quite easily.

And the mark-up on common date $20 gold coins is very low so you don't get much help on the shipping costs from your gross margin.

No, $14 is about what you can expect these days for shipping expenses. hm