• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Possible George Washington Presidential Edge Lettering Error?

8 posts in this topic

Possible George Washington Presidential Coin Edge Lettering Error.

I have run accross 4 coins out of 10 rolls I checked and am not sure about the edge lettering.

The words IN GOD WE TRUST, the mint year 2007 D are centered in the coin edge.

The words E PLURIBUS UNUM are not, these words are resting on what appears to the be the coin edge well below the centerline of the coin, all 4 of these coins display this and are extrememly obvious. Non of the other 250 odd coins did not, the lettering was all aligned in the center of the coin edge.

I found none in the 400 or so Adams or Jefferson coins I looked at that showed this trait.

Below are photo links I took of one of the coins showing what I am refering to:

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/2/1/8/6/4/webimg/84736834_o.jpg

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/2/1/8/6/4/webimg/84736838_o.jpg

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/2/1/8/6/4/webimg/84736832_o.jpg

Please excuse the quality of the images, my small camera does not do well up close.

I have trying to research this and have had no luck in finding any information out about mis-aligned edge lettering. It just really struck me as odd that all the other lettering on these 4 coins are centered and the E PLURIBUS UNUM is below centerline.

For now, I will just keep these coins in my safe until I can either verify or deny this as a edge lettering mint error.

If I was reasonably sure this is an error, I would send the coins in to be graded and checked by NGC.

Thanks for any input and time someone could contribute.....

Curtis

47950-DSCN0230.JPG.64393587ad0c2511f6dca45bb8e228e5.JPG

47951-DSCN0231.JPG.78379dd503d6b902b2ae6b878751e358.JPG

47952-DSCN0232.JPG.c446276d65e5869ea3544766d989660f.JPG

47953-DSCN0223.JPG.4b0eb018d650390478a35d4c9af436ca.JPG

Early this year when the first Washington $'s were reported with the edge lettering missing, I believe I read that there was no standard for centering the lettering on the edge so I can only assume that this is within normal tolerances.

Please try to size your photos so that we don't have to scroll back and forth to read every line of text. Thanks!

Chris

Thanks,

Sorry about the photo's, this is my first post.....

I will resize the photo's on the next....

It just struck me as odd with the IN GOD WE TRUST and the 2007 D centered and the E PLURIBUS UNUM as not centered.

My 14 year old daughter noticed it as soon as the roll was opened up.

Curtis

Where are my manners? Welcome to the neighborhood, Curtis.

In your first two photos, EPU & IGWT appear to be on the same plane. I guess it is possible that the coin could be tilted slightly in the lettering chamber.

Chris

I guess I could just keep it in the safe and see if anything pops up later about mis-aligned edge lettering.

It has been a little frustrating trying to research it with the new dollars in circulation for such a short period of time.

Curtis

Unlike the early lettered edge coins, the entire inscription on the edge of todays dollar is applied by a single die. That die has th inscription at the bottom of a flat bottomed u shaped channel. The channel is a little wider than the thickness of the coin so it is possible for the coin to enter the dies up against one edge of the channel, which would result in the inscription being close to the edge of the coin. Then as the coin proceeds through the channel it can center itself, or even go to the other edge and of course the inscription on the coin will do the same. I would not consider a "drifting edge inscription" to be an error.