• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A brand new seller on Ebay selling counterfeits

23 posts in this topic

I believe that all of his US coins are counterfeit (and suspect the same of the foreign items). Sorry for not having made that clear in my initial post - I will edit it.

With these counterfiets being so prevalent why doesn't. NGC employ somebody full time to police this. Regardless of it is NGC or PCGS I am surprised that it takes astute members on here to identify these problems. I think it is great but the TPGs need to step up to the plate IMO.

Those are some extra-old Morgans. It's a wonder anyone would notice. Great job, Mark, as is usual.
Thanks, but I don't deserve any credit - I merely reported what someone else discovered.

With these counterfiets being so prevalent why doesn't. NGC employ somebody full time to police this. Regardless of it is NGC or PCGS I am surprised that it takes astute members on here to identify these problems. I think it is great but the TPGs need to step up to the plate IMO.
Rey, in this particular case, the coins are not in NGC or PCGS holders. Regarding policing of counterfeit holders by those companies - I don't know what steps they are taking, but they might not want to make the information public.

$224 for a 1796 Morgan from china...

Somebody stop the insanity!!!

I could buy a very nice real "morgan" with that kind'a change!!

Hey... it was certified by the China Numismatic Society, so it must be authentic!

It has to be an unknown variety of the coin George Morgan designed. Morgan was so talented, he came up with this design before he was born! Now that's great history!!

:jokealert:

Wow, when you suggested that these scammers are preying on people who are trying to buy Christmas gifts for their collecting loved ones it hit home how repugnant this is. I can imagine my wife being all excited to give me a "special" gift...opening it up and seeing this 1796 Morgan from China. It would be really hard to fake that smile...and if she found out that a gift she purchased so lovingly was a fake, she'd be crushed...

they deserve worse than having their listings pulled

One was a raw coin and the other was slabbed by the China Numusmatic Society so no need for them to get involved.

Either E Bay doesn't care about really policing them or is adverse to hiring enough people to do the job.

I did both an NGC and PCGS check on Morgans.One seller had a description for a raw coin and had NGC at the end of the sentence., Another had a raw coin and stated an opinion on the grade claiming he examined it closely and the "PCGS trend for this grade is....... I did a Generic check just searching for Morgan dollars and found several that listed coins that were certified and they were salbbed by NNC,NEC etc.

It doesn't take that much time to do a search.

I sure would have loved to see the 1796 Morgan!! Whoever buys it...but hopefully no-one...I can't find the post..had better not lick it or even touch it...it's probably dosed with the "date rape" drug..

RI AL