• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1845 large cent (cleaned?)

11 posts in this topic

image-2.jpg

image-3.jpg

Notice the lines running across the obverse that seem to be all across the coin in the same direction. I assume this meant it was cleaned at some point long ago. Is this pretty common in old copper.

I wouldn't call them hairlines, more like rub/slide marks. I was just wondering if that seriously detracts from the "grade". I think their most visible to right of the date.

Be patient and wait until you run across a decent one---the gash on Liberty's cheek is distracting and it's not well struck (look at the stars). What you should look for on large cents (and half cents) is evidence of old cleaning and spot tooling (fine scratches indicative of a pick being used to abrade verdegris or other types of encrustation). I cannot tell anything for certain from these images, but I suggest that you look carefully at the reverse (around 'ONE CENT') because of the lighter, patchy color there.

I don't see evidence of cleaning, but the color looks unnatural. I suspect the color is because of either an old cleaning and retoning, or corrosion.

To answer your question, yes, a very large percentage of 1840s large cents have been cleaned or otherwise messed with/problematic. Based upon my experience, I would estimate it to be the case for at least 90% of 1840's large cents...Mike

This looks like an uncleaned, fully original coin to me. Unfortunately, in this case, "fully original" includes the fact that the surfaces are darkly toned due to environmental effects. In other words, this is an instance where the originality is a minus, because it has led to what NGC will call "environmental damage".

The image appears to be from a scan and these can be very difficult to interpret. I don't see any obvious cleaning, but I also cannot make the determination if it is original or recolored from the data provided.

It does look a bit dark and unnaturally toned to me as well. The scratches, while a bit distracting, aren't totally unheard of in pieces of this grade. The bottom line...for me... I'd probably buy it if the price was favorable and I'd had a few beers to drink. Then I'd be pi$$ed off at myself for buying it when I got it in-hand...L

These are scans, but the color is pretty accurate. I should have removed it from the 2X2 first, though. I"ll stick to photographing coins instead of scans.

I appreciate the advice, I did eventually buy it, but I knocked down the price some because of the cheek scratches. Coin show fever, I guess.

Copper is a whole different ball game, than silver.

Thanks ALL!!