• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two Newp's: Fire away with Feedback

31 posts in this topic

Kind of makes ya wonder, with that much wear, how many hands that coin has pased thru.

Or colons! :o I'm sure that kids were swallowing coins back then, even. :insane:

Nice coins, Victor! (thumbs u

Personally I'm not a big fan of the AG3 grade. I certainly understand the financial aspects that make a person buy at that grade, but given dropping that sort of a chunk of change I'd rather buy a common date DBHE dime in say VF. That way the coin still has a lot of meat on the bones. Granted that's a HE as opposed to the scrawny chicken, but the scrawny chicken design never did much for me anyhow. Generally speaking I like to collect coins in F-12 or better, and if that specific type is too expensive for me then I just try and re-allocate the resources to some other higher graded Type coin of that same general sort of species.

The creation of the registry was a stroke of marketing genius! To work on a complete set, one must pursue certain dates that one ordinarily wouldn't even dream of. I love the no stars variety among all of the seated liberty coinage the most but couldn't care less about arrows and arrows and rays, etc.

Early type is on the rise. They are very hard to find with nice eye appeal in any grade and I don't think that they will be getting any cheaper. The PCGS price guide went from $1550 to $1800 on the 1796 dime in G4 from one issue to the next. Sure, it's a guideline but it does give an indication of the market.

Talk to TomB or Bill Jones. They have some incredible type coins that would be even beyond their budget in today's market. They are fortunate enough to be long time collectors and acquired their coins at a great time.

So, what can a man do? I'll just buy the proper coin when the opportunity and budget allows.

Thanks for all of the comments, btw.

p.s. Some of you may recall the 1795 half that I bought from Wayne Herndon. He sent it first class insured and it completely fell off the face of the planet. Neither one of us has seen hide nor hair of it. :( Of course, Wayne is a stand up guy and made a prompt refund but it still kind of sux that a coin like this could be lost in the postal chaos. I wonder where it will end up and who will be the final recipient...

Ah yes, the good old days. I wish this hobby would have hit me to a more serious extent than what it was during my younger years. I commend those that have such beautiful and rare finds in thier collection. It's an honor to be able to see coins I've never seen or heard of. Keep on truckin' Victor. They don't all have to be Proof or MS.

The 1796 is overgraded by a point, but at Fair/AG, I'm not sure how much it matters. I like it regardless, mostly because it has a super strong date and original surfaces. The image for the 1837 makes it difficult to interpret the surface quality.

I'll have to get the coins in hand to be able to accurately describe them. I appreciate all of the comments!

p.s. All my bags are packed and I'm ready to go. I'm heading to Phoenix, AZ tomorrow to do MRI at a children's hospital. Should be fun!

It's too bad I am posting so late to this thread because it will seem like a "me too" response. The 1796 dime looks Fair-2 to me, but I think the distinction between the two grades is trivial. The look of the coin is fine and the type is very tough to find with eye appeal. The 1837 half dime, however, does not look attractive to my eyes. Perhaps it has secondary toning, but perhaps it has tertiary toning; regardless, the images provided wouldn't make me move on the coin.

Victor is quite correct, though, when he writes that there are coins in my own type set that would never be in my set if I hadn't bought them five-to-ten years ago. The prices on early type have advanced far more than my disposable income in this time frame.

My mind is not changed on the half dime. It is simply not a coin that would go well with what I aim to include in my collection, but other folks might love the piece.

Don't be nice. What do you think? Of course, I'd Have prefered a high grade 1796 dime but this is what my budget allowed.

There is something about an 18th century coin that looks like it was was circulated in the building of a nation that I find appealing. It is real history in your hands and why I collect coins!

47740-1798-Large-Cent.jpg.6917d681e28b4e1d5dc97c4aed109dc5.jpg

These are sellers original photos. I simply used auto adjust on the images I showed.

What say you now?

You can tell by the excessive shadowing from the slab that the angle of lighting was overly oblique. That is why the image provides little opportunity for proper assessment. My bet is that the coin looks much better in person.