• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone help me with these?

9 posts in this topic

Hi, guys.

Can anyone help me identify these coins. They were obtained while my wife and I were living in Peru, 1975-1979. That's all I can tell ya. They've been a mystery to me for ages! The term "cob" comes to mind...but that's as far as I get.

Thanks so much.

RI AL

peruoldrev.jpg

peruoldobv.jpg

bsshog40

WOW! That was fast. Many thanks. Guess I have some research to do.

Much appreciated!!

RI AL...supposed to get into the high teens tonight...(no...not high school kids.....the TEMPERATURE). :>)

the_thing

Thanks for your reply. To answer your question, these were purchased in an open, native marketplace in Tacna, Peru, just a few miles north of the border with Chile. I had to do some of my best Spanish fast talk (probably a very clumsy effort...because the guys were all gathered around this "gringo" and laughing at the way I phrased my request to see the coins. As it turned out, I literally said, in Spanish, "I WANT YOU"...not that I meant to! One of many hilarious events that occurred during my wife's and my 4 years in Peru.

Again, thanks for the help.

RI AL

And the "P" you can barely see above the "Q" is the Potosi mint. The more I look at them, the more I'm sure they are 100% authentic. I'm also fairly certain a date is visible on the 8 reale. Hard to tell, but I'd say the last 2 digits can be made out OK. The first 2 would be 16. You might be able to tell with it in hand, but its hard to do from the image.

47770-date.jpg.d4ad3e84d468a9df1867764ac0b5464a.jpg