• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help is this silver??

12 posts in this topic

I recently "came across" a box of coins and these were in it.

I am listing these coins on ebay and could not find a thing about these.

I did find a past auction stating that they are made of .999 silver.

Is this true?

If so how much silver.

Anyone that can help I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

0005561gt1.jpg

0005562ds6.jpg

Yeah! I was going to say how does he know it's silver unless he's got a coa. You know you can always try thee ole tissue trick, take a piece of tissue paper and put it over the coin, and if it's silver it will show thru. (I think that's how it works) can't remember now. Just in case take a clad coin and do the same, the silver will be a lot brighter thwn the clad.

The tissue paper works just fine Richard, but it probably would be nice to know if it's solid silver instead of silver plated.

That is a good point Bobby. In which case without documentation the round is potentially worthless.

If it is not marked (Make sure you check the edge as well, some companies marked them there) then without a specific gravity test you would have to assume silver plated. You might also check it with a metal detector comparing it to a known silver round. Different metals and metal alloys have different sounds. That is not an infallible test though. A markedly differnt set of sounds would be a very good indication that it is NOT silver, while very similar sounds are a good indiction but not conclusive that it is silver. For example unless you have a musically trained ear you probably could not hear the difference between .999 silver and .925 silver. You could possibly tell .500 fine from .999, but you should definitely be able to hear the difference between silverplated coppernickel and .999 fine.