• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can you Grade?? Washington Quarter Test...

26 posts in this topic

I selected 5 Washington Quarters, all of which are graded by NGC. Now which grade is which? Take a guess. Good luck! You are guessing at the NGC grades..

qgt.jpg

Here are the NGC grades.. Pics are terrible of these coins. Quick crappy shots.

1. NGC MS 66 - Without the spot on the coin this would be MS 67

2. NGC MS 67 - Just made the cut for MS 67

3. NGC MS 66 - Nice tones on this coin make it fun to look at and own.

4. NGC MS 65 - Purchased on a whim and this coin just barely made MS 65. It was cheap...

5. NGC MS 66 - Solid coin for the grade. This is what MS 66 coins should look like. Thanks Tom! (TomB purchase)

Thoughts opinions??

Rather than blame my mistakes on a complete lack of grading experience in this series, I will blame my two incorrect grades on the crappy photos. ;)

In all seriousness, thanks for sharing Bruce. I always enjoy your posts...Mike

p.s. that last coin, in retrospect, still confuses me. I woud have expected that coin -- with a spot on Washington's chin and some (what look to me like) luster issues in the left obverse field -- to have graded lower, yet you seem to really like it. hm

Mike.. That image does nothing for the coin. The coins is really nice The fields are really nice. The one chin spot is what keeps this coin at MS 66.

It’s really impossible to grade MS-66 and 67 coins from photos. Luster plays a huge role in assigning grades at these levels, and photographs just don’t show that. For that reason I passed on making any guesses about the grades.

Well I only got one right with with me being one grade away from the rest except the 67. The pics were a little dark to me but glad to see they had better grades than what I said. Nice Qtrs Bruce.

Here are the NGC grades.. Pics are terrible of these coins. Quick crappy shots.

1. NGC MS 66 - Without the spot on the coin this would be MS 67

2. NGC MS 67 - Just made the cut for MS 67

3. NGC MS 66 - Nice tones on this coin make it fun to look at and own.

4. NGC MS 65 - Purchased on a whim and this coin just barely made MS 65. It was cheap...

5. NGC MS 66 - Solid coin for the grade. This is what MS 66 coins should look like. Thanks Tom! (TomB purchase)

Thoughts opinions??

Dang, I was generally too low by a point. I don't think it's because of the coins or the image quality. I think I was thrown off a bit by specks or hairlines on the slabs themselves.

On Coin 1, I debated whether the touch of chatter I see on the eagle's legs would hold it back, and whether or not there was a tiny hairline down the ridge of Washington's cheek. Im not surprised its a 66.

Coin 2 surprises me, I thought the luster grazes around the lower obverse would keep it at 66, but other wise it seems to have strong luster and a 67 appeal.