• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The US Mint needs to take a lesson

28 posts in this topic

From Daniel Carr.....

Got these today

While not US Mint coins, they are US (Made)Coins.....(edited to make TomB happy)

The 100 Amero and the 20 trade dollar.......both 1 ounce .999 silver

amero.jpg

dctrade.jpg

That boy does some nice stuff.....

Scary thing is that top coin may be what we use in the future....much like the euro did for europe :o

:cloud9:

They most certainly are not US coins. They are privately minted rounds.

You know full well I meant they were made in the USA. Quit being so picky and let us have a little fun...

rantrant

MM

The obverse of the first one is the best, the rest are not that great. It has a kind of art deco feel. The obverse of the second one is way too cluttered, and I don't really care for that rendition of the eagle.

They most certainly are not US coins. They are privately minted rounds.

You know full well I meant they were made in the USA. Quit being so picky and let us have a little fun...

rantrant

MM

Truly, I can only understand as much as you will communicate. If I had understood that your statement that they are US coins meant they were not US coins then I would not have had to respond to you.

Those look pretty nice. Good for Daniel!

As for whether they are coins or not, you can always try and spend them. I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually accepted them for $100 or $20!

OMG. I just noticed that those are ...

GODLESS! :o

The Liberty figure looks stiff... almost like a figure your would see on an Egyptian sarcophagus.

The background on the "20 trade dollars" obverse looks too busy.

Sorry... I am very partial to Weinman's Walking Liberty and Saint-Gaudens striding liberty on the Double Eagle.

Scott :hi:

As for whether they are coins or not, you can always try and spend them. I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually accepted them for $100 or $20!

Try selling one to a coin dealer. You would be lucky to get melt.

The first one he did as a kind of parody of what we may have to use for currency if we continue the way Europe did and create a North American Union. lol, if that is the case, he should have the text in spanish, cuz that is what we will have to speak.

The second one he did as kind of an updated trade dollar.....I think that is where the art deco stuff comes in. If you notice, Miss Liberty also has a belly button showing....it is supposed to be modern looking. Just think what he could do if he does a tribute to the 100th year of the SLQ.. :o Only Type 1 SLQ collectors would appreciate that one....(maybe a little plastic surgery :) )

Even though I agree that the St Gaudens are timeless, you have to appreciate the time and work that someone has to put into this stuff...

As for the eagle, I agree, no one will ever be able in my opinion to get it right like they did on the Morgan Dollar. Even the US Mint SF commemorative's eagle looks cheesy compared to the original...

MM

If Mr. Carr can strike more than 100 of these coins without a mistake then I agree, the Mint should take a lesson. As far as his art, I dislike the obverse background immensely, dislike Liberty(ISIS), and the Eagle on the reverse looks like a NAZI hawk. Imagine a pair of s's in the center. But then that's me, JMHO.

Sorry, but as soon as I looked at the design of the first one, especially the reverse, Nazi Germany came to mind. (shrug)

haha, you're right. I didn't notice that before you mentioned it. Striking political commentary on a unified North America, anyone?

Sorry, but as soon as I looked at the design of the first one, especially the reverse, Nazi Germany came to mind. (shrug)

haha, you're right. I didn't notice that before you mentioned it. Striking political commentary on a unified North America, anyone?

I think first we need to work on a UNIFIED United States of America (shrug)

MM

Try selling one to a coin dealer. You would be lucky to get melt.
Are we talking about collecting or investing?

As for dealers, it's probably a bad bet selling most moderns to a dealer. There's one dealer saying 1995-W ASEs are only worth melt.

Some US Mint commems are only worth melt as well.

The Liberty figure looks stiff... almost like a figure your would see on an Egyptian sarcophagus.

Sorry... I am very partial to Weinman's Walking Liberty and Saint-Gaudens striding liberty on the Double Eagle.

I don't disagree with this assessment, but is there anything wrong with Egyptian art? There are certainly better looking coins but these don't do so badly against much of what's out there including many classic and modern US Mint pieces IMO.

I don't disagree with this assessment, but is there anything wrong with Egyptian art? There are certainly better looking coins but these don't do so badly against much of what's out there including many classic and modern US Mint pieces IMO.
Geez... some people are so picky!!! :baiting:

There is nothing wrong with Egyptian art. I do find ancient Egyptian artwork fascinating--which is why I want to make it back to London to see the British Museum. But my comment on the artwork of these medals were made within the context of a comparison of US coinage.

:makepoint: So let's clarify the statement: Unless the US coin is celebrating Egyptian art, it is my opinion that the image Lady Liberty must to be more inspiring and not stiff. My favorite image of Miss Liberty is Adolph A. Weinman's Walking Liberty with Augustus Saint-Gaudens's Liberty right on her heels.

Scott :hi:

My favorite image of Miss Liberty is Adolph A. Weinman's Walking Liberty with Augustus Saint-Gaudens's Liberty right on her heels.
If Adolph A. Weinman's Walking Liberty with Augustus Saint-Gaudens's Liberty are the only ones better than these then Daniel is doing pretty well ;)

To me, this is a very sad thread and borders on the treacherous. I love my country and mourn at its decline. :sorry:

Ah, now the "T" word is going to come out. Discussing the ficticious invention of an artist trying to make a buck isn't treason, but if the government ever actually merged us with Mexico and Canada that certainly would be. I think we all mourn the decline of "The Late, Great U.S.A."