• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on this Walker... Added 2nd photo...

23 posts in this topic

Nice looking MS-64. Dipped to make it white with a minor spot on the reverse rim at 3k. I've seen coins like this in MS-65 holders, but that's the reason the bids dropped a year or so ago IMO. The mark on the sun really rules out any chance for an MS-65.

Nice looking walker there Bruce. I'm gonna have to go with MS63 on this. I'm seeing some bad nics on the sun and rays, a few on the gown and left hand of Liberty and then a nice one on the eagles wing. Overall, still a nice looking strike for this walker.

The different lighting of this second pic to me Bruce, doesn't make the nics so pronounced as the first pics. Having already seen the first pics would make me keep my original guess of MS63. If I hadn't seen them and went with the second pic I would also go with an MS65. It's amazing as we all have learned, what pictures can do to a coin depending on how you take them.

Obviously, not knowing anything about this series, I'll keep my grades to myself as I thought there is evidence of wear on Liberty's breast and left hand. I'm not familiar with weak strikes for this series and have no books on the coin. I'll sit and learn.

Bob will call it a MS 62 because of the weak strike or some nonsense like that :baiting: (just kidding, my friend!)....

I think the TPGs would grade it 65, but would tend towards a 64 grade myself becaues of the ticks and taps and digs mostly.

Really like the reverse strike!

Thanks for sharing..>Mike

Actually from all of the looking at Walkers I've done the past 3 years ( almost exclusively) I'm going to say 65 in a new holder and 64 in a fatty or rattler. The strike is actually very full, the flatness of the breast is common and not wear....great skirt lines and seperate thumb...the reverse has nice breast feathers and even leg feather detail ...a few too many contact marks but not in prime areas and I agree, the luster is impaired from dipping...a very nice coin if you payed 64 price and solid for 65 wholesale..

To address the luster... I did a terrible job of capturing it in the photos.

If that's the case, then I am at MS-63. My initial thought was MS-60! It looked like it has all the luster burned off in the images.

I love it!!! :cloud9:

Fantastic coin!

I'll guess MS65. I would have guessed MS66 but the contact mark on the sun's ray makes a difference. But it's a minor difference since it is a coin I would be happy to have in my collection.

Scott :hi:

My guess is 64. Couple of nicks and a mooshy strike on the hand. No wear that I saw. I could imagine it in a 65 holder on the right day. I certainly don't see it lower than a 64. I like it.

I got the coin for MS 64 Money. The dealer took another look at it as I bought the coin and thought it might be a MS65 on 2nd review. In my opinon it is a liner. Nice at MS 64 and could be MS 65. Needless to say a nice coin with great luster(not that the pic shows it) that I am glad to own.

The price difference between MS-64 and MS-65 is considerable for Walkers. When in doubt go conservative. Even when they are in the MS-65 holders, smart buyers don't jump at them without at good look.

If the dealer thought that it was an MS-65, he should have submitted it. Otherwise I'd say that both of you came out fairly in this deal. :golfclap:

Bill he was going to submit it if I had not bought it. He has soo many coins he loses track of some at times. He buys them, grades them, prices them and then puts them out for sale. Upon 2nd look he thought there was a good shot at MS 65. I might submit and find out.