• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grade?

17 posts in this topic

If all the tiny dust particles looking spots are showing because of the fact that this is a scan, then I'd guess MS-63 or so. But if those are micro-ticks on the coin, then more like MS-61.

they are tiny lil niks on coin :( it still looks nice i think. looks like contact points from being in with silver. au is still good in my book. so would this 1 be worth the grading?

I would say this is AU unless this has weak strike on the eagles breast, then it may just hit MS. I'm also thinking this may have some slight dip residue on it, but not certain of that. Either way, I would think that it is a good candidate for grading.

they are tiny lil niks on coin :( it still looks nice i think. looks like contact points from being in with silver. au is still good in my book. so would this 1 be worth the grading?

In any grade below at least MS-65, this is not a coin to get certified. It is one of THE most common Morgans in MS-63/64.

In any grade below at least MS-65, this is not a coin to get certified. It is one of THE most common Morgans in MS-63/64.

Your right James. I was looking at the value guide for a 1894-O instead of 1904-O. Very common Morgan and not worth grading fees. My mistake!! doh!

I'd grade it MS-62.

It is a very common coin in MS from a Treasury hoard that came out in the early 1960s. Before that the 1904-O sold for a as much as few hundred dollars. :o

The coin is interesting because the eagle has full breast feathers. Only a minority of 1904-O dollars have any breast feathers at all. Most of the them are totally smooth in that area due to the strike.

Of the coin graded MS-64 and was already slabbed it is possible to get a small preimum because of the strike. But this one is a lower grade.

Depends on you definition of Generic.How about a n 1895 and you aren't exactly sur eof the grade but know it isn't even a 61 etc.

If you are talking about the 1881S,1885,1886,1997 1921,etc that you can get on Ebay for about $100.00 already slabbed in MS65 then you are correct.

Depends on you definition of Generic.How about a n 1895 and you aren't exactly sur eof the grade but know it isn't even a 61 etc.

If you are talking about the 1881S,1885,1886,1997 1921,etc that you can get on Ebay for about $100.00 already slabbed in MS65 then you are correct.

I think the majority of Morgans are "generic".

In fact, I hate Morgans! Who in their right mind would collect them? I especially don't like those closet collectors!

I think the majority of Morgans are "generic".

In fact, I hate Morgans! Who in their right mind would collect them? I especially don't like those closet collectors!

(tsk) I too was a self loather and hid my Morgan collection ...

Maybe we could get an M.A. group started.. hm

:gossip: The ones you gotta watch out for are those Vam :censored:.they are a whole new world of ADD

Top 100...Hot 50...ELITE CLASHED :pullhair:

Ahh, come on James! You sound like a radical EAC militant here. “Dollars, Walkers and Commems YUK!!!” :sick:

Morgan dollars have some very positive attributes.

• They were the product of a long running political debate that culminated in the 1896 presidential election.(The 1900 presidential race was really a post mortem.) At no other time in our history did coins capture the center stage than the way they did during this period.

• Large numbers of silver dollars are available in Mint State condition at well under $100 each. There are now no other 19th century American coins that can offer that to collectors.

• Silver dollars are large and impressive and have a better chance of “wowing” your non collector friends that most other coins.

• For the advanced collector there are VAM varieties, which are every bit as interesting and challenging as Newcomb varieties. And I’ll say this. For me attributing a VAM variety is a lot easier than attributing a Newcomb.

• Silver dollars are tied in the settlement of the American west. There is all the romance of the Comstock Load and numerous other silver strikes. Plus there is the Carson City mint with all of its trials and tribulations. And the best part is for around $200 you can own a nice Mint State example of a Carson City mint dollar.

• Silver dollars provide an interesting date run from 1878 to 1904. A “one a year” set can be built for moderate investment in grading ranging from EF to Choice Mint State. This is an attraction for some collectors.

Yes silver dollars some dealers have marketed and promoted silver dollars to the extreme, which probably accounts for some of your distaste for the series. But the coin does have many positive attributes. And without trying to start a fight, I’d much rather have my collector money in some attractive Morgan Dollars than I would some of the modern junk the mint is now selling.