• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1825 Bust Half....like it or hate it???

34 posts in this topic

I can't imagine someone HATING that beauty. Some may prefer a "different" look,

but I don't see anything that bad about it? After all it is a Bustie!!! :D

Sorry, but the happy talk ends here.... :( I grade the coin XF details, cleaned, net VF --> Where's the luster?

Unless this coin looks signficantly different/better in-hand, this is a coin I would pass on, and think you can do better, Shane.

Respectfully submitted...Mike

I like the coin, but am more forgiving on cleaning than Mike is, I would still grade it VF just for the wear on the eagle's feathers. Even so, I still like it a lot!

Sorry, but the happy talk ends here.... :( I grade the coin XF details, cleaned, net VF --> Where's the luster?

Unless this coin looks signficantly different/better in-hand, this is a coin I would pass on, and think you can do better, Shane.

Respectfully submitted...Mike

I have some MS70 cleaner...would that help the luster show through or would it ruin the coin? The coin does have some luster but I agree with you that it is subdued.... hm

Would NGC bag this coin for an old cleaning?

Well, I can't really grade those coins because they are still in the wrapper. Honestly, if you want an opinion get that dark half dollar thing out of the way and open up the roll.

That's a super rare bank wrapped roll of 2000-D Lincoln Cent's.....it will lose half it's value if I open it??? (shrug)

Is that an O-112 that I see?

I have no idea......is that a common variety?......that's usually my luck lol

R3

Would NGC bag this coin for an old cleaning?

I have no idea, and frankly, I could care less what NGC thinks, if you catch my drift...Mike

p.s. yes, I ignored your first question. :P

Shane, if you could post a better pic, a close up with some light on it then not only I can give an opinion if anyone cares but some may change their minds either way depending on what they really can see, because right now it is cretainly tough to give a definitive opinion. If you can't get a better shot then I would have to go with Mike in FL because he is being the most conservative and not telling you what you may want to hear inorder to be nice. It appears to be a nice looking toned bustie but this pic doesn't show luster and is to far away and unlite.

I, too, think the coin has been cleaned - actually, I would guess that it's been dipped. But that's something I've learned to accept. So have NGC and PCGS, of course, or else 90% of these busties would be rejected for grading.

I would gladly own the coin at fair market value, not at a premium.

And thanks to MikeInFl for providing counterpoint and balance to the discussion.

I, too, think the coin has been cleaned - actually, I would guess that it's been dipped. But that's something I've learned to accept. So have NGC and PCGS, of course, or else 90% of these busties would be rejected for grading.

I would gladly own the coin at fair market value, not at a premium.

And thanks to MikeInFl for providing counterpoint and balance to the discussion.

The dipped coins that I have seen do not normally re-tone very evenly, especially when they get dark. And if the toning appears to have some good depth to it, then I would say that it has not been dipped. If this coin were dipped, whoever owned it did a rather lousy job of keeping the coin from toning.

Just for the record.....I am always open to opinions when I post a coin.....I don't mind hearing the coin has problem if it has problems and I didn't try to defend this coin when the word cleaned came up becuase it's pretty tough to find one of these that has not been messed with.

I think the coin has a pretty good look to it overall but I don't know if it would be bagged because it doesn't seem to have a lot of luster considering the amount of details. That tells me dipped and retoned so I am cool with Mike's assessment in that regard (thumbs u

I think the bottom line is that I like the coin but I am broke and since I don't own in others...this piece just doesn't fit into my collecting goals. If I were to sell it I would certainly want to make sure I accurately represented the coin becuase I don't want somebody getting a dog that will BB hm

Thanks for all of the comments and feedback......I always learn something around here :foryou:

Well being 182yrs old, I'm sure the possibility of being cleaned can be said, but I see no reason why it would get BB'd. From the pics, it looks like most other CBH's I've seen in slabs.

I think the bottom line is that I like the coin but I am broke and since I don't own in others...this piece just doesn't fit into my collecting goals. If I were to sell it I would certainly want to make sure I accurately represented the coin becuase I don't want somebody getting a dog that will BB hm

I would pay straight XF greysheet bid for the coin ($120) if in hand it had no problems other than a presumed light cleaning. If there were problems, I'd be at $90. For me, I couldn't care less if it would BB, since I would never get it slabbed anyhow.

You may regard the above as a standing offer if you're unable to do better (which you probably can retailing it).

Good luck!

I would pay straight XF greysheet bid for the coin ($120) if in hand it had no problems other than a presumed light cleaning. If there were problems, I'd be at $90. For me, I couldn't care less if it would BB, since I would never get it slabbed anyhow.

You may regard the above as a standing offer if you're unable to do better (which you probably can retailing it).

Good luck!

lol

Thanks James...I'll let you know ....I swear I am not marketing my "for sale" items on here......just getting a feel for this coins strengths and weakenesses (thumbs u

I think it would be helpful, if possible, to see a closer image of the coin. The coin only takes up about 1/8 of the current image.

The camera I am using is my Daughters and it doesn't have Macro.....when I get too close the image goes fuzzy..... lol

hm

doh!