• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thanks

15 posts in this topic

I hope I don't hurt your feelings too much, but:

1. YUK! That thing has been polished all to heck and back.

2. This is the only one in the lot I could see anyone spending any money on. Except for the gunk stuck on his neck, that is.

3. Who cares if it is AT/NT, it is butt ugly (and my vote is AT, just for the heck of it)

4. I don't know about a S/S, that is not my area. But I can tell you it will probably bag because it looks like Miss Liberty got in a serious knife fight, and lost.

I tend to agree with the above. On the first Morgan however, it may be NT by what I can tell IMO. On the S/S, with the images it is hard to tell but it may be VAM 11 S/S Filled S. Go to Vamworld.com and compare to your coin. But as pointed out the condition of all of these is not that good at all.

Rey

My advice would be....buy the book before the coin. None of us were born coin experts and we all went through our trial and error phases. At this point what's done is done and the coins you posted would be considered problem coins or at least the majority would. That means when it comes time to sell......you could take a loss on your initial investment unless you got these for a song.

All is not lost though becuase now it's time to take what you've learned and use it to protect yourself and your money in the future. The most important thing a collector can do is know your limitations......if you can't grade coins or determine cleaned and damaged coins than my advice would be to stick with certified material until you can improve your skills. There are lots of books out there including photograde that will teach you how to grade, but they can't teach you how to spot cleaned coins. The best thing you can do is go to a show and look at lots of coins that are certified so that you can see what a good coin looks like vs a bad one. Sure it's not fool proof as not all certified material is without problems but........your chances of getting a bad coin raw is many multiples higher than if you buy a certified coins housed in an (PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG) TPG holder.

Other online resources include Heritage's Permanent Auction Archive which has hundreds of thousands of high res images of coins. Look at those and compare your purchases and you may save yourself some dough down the line.

Lastly.....make good contacts on these boards and if you see something on Ebay that you just can't live without then send a note to one of your forum buddies and get a second opinion before pulling the trigger. There are a ton of resources for any series or denomination you could desire.......and I know I for one would be happy to help steer you in the right direction if you have questions about coins on Ebay as I am a power seller on there and I know most of the pitfalls and also have compiled a list of sellers I trust. (thumbs u

Lastly.....make good contacts on these boards and if you see something on Ebay that you just can't live without then send a note to one of your forum buddies and get a second opinion before pulling the trigger. There are a ton of resources for any series or denomination you could desire.......and I know I for one would be happy to help steer you in the right direction if you have questions about coins on Ebay as I am a power seller on there and I know most of the pitfalls and also have compiled a list of sellers I trust. (thumbs u

Amen to that! The people here are just fantastic, and I know that I have asked them for advice more than once!

Dude! That's cold blooded deleting the thread before us late comers could see what the hoopla is all about. :sorry:

And I got here later than you, Victor. Bummer!

Chris

Well I asked for an opinion on the coins, not my intelligence. The coins look a lot better in hand, I just blew them up to big. Oh and by the way I never said I bought them off Ebay, I bought them at an auction, you know, where you got like 2 seconds to see the coin, and I got a pretty good deal. To all who had a chance to reply, thanks.

I apologize if I assumed Ebay....no malice intended and I am sorry if you felt like folks were jumping to conclusions on your coins....I agree that you have them in hand so you are better apt to judge then we are......but from the pictures you posted it was very appearent that the coins would not holder due to some condition problems.

If you got a great deal on them than that's great to hear......but your statement that you had like 2 seconds to look at them before bidding troubles me hm

There are millions upon millions of coins out there so never get in too big a rish to jump in if you aren't sure of the condition or true value of what you are buying. Sure we have all done it lol but it can be a costly mistake, especially if you don't have a few decades of coin experience under your belt.

I do believe you understand that everyone on here was trying to help and not put your coins down...hence the "thank you".......but I want to make sure you don't walk away with a stinging sensation to your pride as nobody is going to put you down for your purchases....just offer free advice. Like any advice....you can take it or leave it and all that really maters is if you are happy with the coins (thumbs u

Good Luck and please stick around as there are plenty of us know it all's around.....oh wait Chris already posted....never mind :sorry:

:baiting:

lol lol lol

Well I never got to see the coins but it sounds like they weren't liked that well. As I seen you posted Richard, downfall of a good camera is right. I have seen some very nice in-hand coins and when I blew them up to 2800pixels, WOW. Maginification is not always the best, but it is good for determining what you really have and think you have. You mentioned auction, always a gamble and sometimes just the fun of it is worth it.